Taming Out of Control Piece of Land

I have an out of control parcel of land which is full of weed, shrubs, even small trees. It has been like this for about 10 years now, so various animals currently inhabit the land (groundhogs, rabbits, etc.) What's the best means of cleaning up this parcel? Of course, I want to convert this untamed piece of land to a lawn full of green grass.

I was told that the best means of doing so would be to buy heavy, thick black plastic covers, so that no sunlight will penetrate. I was also told, however, that it's too late in the season to do so (I live in New Jersey which has four full seasons).

Is this right? If so, is there anything I can do between now and the next summer? Do weed killers work in fall or winter?

How would you go about taming a piece of property like this?

Reply to
ianmac84

Hire somebody woith the equipment to handle the job--this would involve removing any trees or bushes with trunk diamaeters over 2-2 1/2 inches. Then chop the field with a brush hog-rake up the debris and cart it away--then use a rototiller to till the ground==forget trying to do anything yourself, you obviously have neither the equipment or the know how to handle the job

Reply to
Frankhartx

why don't you rethink your objectives instead of nuking the whole place. look in to bird and butterfly and friendly habitat with some meadow mixes. A pristine lawn is a dead zone. Read up on endophyte turfs that look really good but are bad for the bugs. The bird eat the nuked bugs, and go someplace and die. check your local audubon for suggestions.

Reply to
HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Roundup will tame that piece of property in short order, but you will still be left with the dead stuff to pull out and dispose of. You can use weedkillers in the fall.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Just burn it out...

Reply to
Oscar_lives

D8 caterpillar, Grade-all , then York rake

Reply to
Beecrofter

I have found when reclaiming old pasture land for a lawn that you will eventually get grass if you keep mowing it. The trick is keeping the weeds from seeding out. I would try mowing it, then in the fall do the following: aerate, top-dress with compost, and overseed/water to encourage new growth. We managed to get a nice Iowa lawn in 2 years -- it had been really ROUGH pasture land before that. Without any really drastic measures.

Reply to
pelirojaroja