Surprise in the garden this AM

There is an iris that has apparently seeded itself into one of my beds - it's not a bearded type or a Siberian or Japanese or Louisiana types either. The bearded are going by, the Siberian is just budded and the others haven't even got scapes yet!
But there is a very tall spike that delighted me this AM - it is at least 4 foot tall.
Any guesses?
Cheryl
Without a picture of the plant, guesses would be pointless.

I not sure I really wanted guesses as much as I wanted to share the surprise. I suspect it is a "wild" iris of sorts. I'll take a picture this AM to share later.
To have this 4 foot iris waving in the middle of the daylilies is really neat.
Cheryl
On 5/28/04 9:35 PM, in article hNRtc.22885$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com, "Cereus-validus"

Never with irises, but every year things from the back garden, end up in the front gardens. This year horseherb, horsemint, four o'clocks, and datura are now in the front gardens. No idea how.
opined:

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:43:42 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

How about Yellow Flag - IRIS PSEUDACORUS http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/iripse2.html
It is an invasive aquatic plant - though that surprised me as the one I have volunteered on a gravel hummock beside a spring ditch. It is never under water, and only wet for a month or so in spring. It *has* gone from a single flower stalk to a 4 foot in diameter clump in the last 6-8 years. But hasn't sprung up anywhere else nearby-- not even in places more suited to it.
It has an attractive habit & pretty flowers. The seed pods are also interesting. They are plump, 4" pods that dangle from the stalks. http://www.arum.com/firstpond/arum2-6k.htm [note that page says they need to be in 6-9 inches of water-- obviously not so]
Jim