Straggily Linaria

While on a walk recently, I came across a dazzling plant with clusters of brilliant yellow and contrasting magenta. With the help of a friend, I found it to be a Linaria, and I believe the variety is "Flamenco" (though my friend thought it might be "Crown Jewels").
I dashed off to the nursery where they had one straggily plant left, with floppy foliage, but with many buds yet to open. I bought it, and now my question is whether I should cut it way back and hope for stronger, more upright foliage? Or would that be eliminating the only chance of flowering for this lovely plant?
Might it come back next year, self-seed, or is this a brief though lovely addition to my garden?
Thanks.
Fleemo Zone 9
linaria is an annual. It will bloom through the summer in very cool summer climates - otherwise it will peter out as soon as the days get really hot in July - it MIGHT flower again in fall, if it hasn't dried out and disappeared by then.

Linaria is a fairly large genus with both annual and perennial species. Its not just a single plant.

Fleemo wrote:

I grew some linaria last year (don't remember the variety) and it was a cool weather crop. I cut the flowers several times, reducing the plant to very little, but it came back regularly until the hot weather came along. It was advertised as an annual. When it wimped out in the hot weather I mowed it all and it showed no resurgence in the fall.
Most linaria appears to be low growing, but this one was about 24" high with small flowers that looked like miniature snapdragons. Bought it as plugs.

Thanks for the input folks.
Yes, I've seen photos of the Linaria that resembles snapdragons, but this is quite different. A photo can be seen here: http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16261 /
I suppose I should have been more specific. It's a Linaria reticulata "Flamenco." I'll try cutting it back, as it's about a foot tall now and rather straggily. I just hope it comes back before the hot weather sets in.
Thanks.