Squirrel problem

I have a herd of squirrels in my yard. A few years back, I only had pretty bushy tailed gray squirrels, who didn't do much damage. But in recent times, I've been over run by scruffy looking little tree squirrels, who seem to have ran off the gray squirrels. These new varmints are destructive.

I have a gazebo in my back yard, and these critters are gnawing and chewing on the roof to it. They have literally chewed up the corners of the support posts.

I've tried a lot of things, but am woe to come up with a good solution. . .Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Jeff,

I have a solution. Cut down every tree in your yard and blacktop it, remove any birdfeeders, and buy a large pack of Feists, Rat/Jack/Fox Terriers, or Bluetick Hounds.

Seriously though... you have to ask yourself what brings them to your yard? Is it large trees, specifically oak trees? If so, can you cut some down? Do you have a bird feeder? And is it often filled with peanuts/nuts or corn, is it? Have you tried a squirrel-proof feeder? First, try to eliminate or reduce the draw.

Next, you need something to put a little fear in the squirrels? Do you have a dog you could put on occassion patrol?

Lastly, then try to relocate them. Buy a few live-animal traps.

Good luck, Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

22 rifle with subsonic ammunition as to not disturb neighbors works best. Hav-a-hart traps. Large rat traps baited with peanut butter.
Reply to
Frank

You may find it helps to attract the squirrels to a different part of your yard via a squirrel feeder. I would look at something that feeds a fair amount of food (i.e., not one of those that holds a single ear of corn or two), bearing in mind that you'll probably have to feed them a fair amount of food, too. I would avoid using something on the ground due to the likelihood of also attracting skunks and raccoons.

Also, I would closely examine the roof of the gazebo to see if some kind of seed (maple keys or some such), insects, or other food source is getting caught in there and attracting them to it.

This might provide some useful > I have a herd of squirrels in my yard. A few years back, I only had

Reply to
Jo Ann

A decent pellet rifle with a scope. Around $100 will be fine. The harder part might be finding time to sit out there and pick them off.

If you have a pre-teen or early teenager around that you trust, it can be a good job. Pay them by the tail. A buck or two should be good. (30+ years ago my grandpa used to pay me $0.25 canadian....)

A friend has an old doberman that used to do a number on the squirrels in his yard. Sneak right up on them... Now she has disovered how to catch birds mid-flight and the squirrels have mostly lost their appeal. But his 8 year old daughter is a crack shot. :)

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies. My yard is standard subdivision size. The neighborhood is heavy with trees of all kinds. It was once a walnut orchard, which isn't helping the situation. My back neighbor has tons of fruit trees.

Shooting the little varmints in close proximity to other homes isn't an option. Trapping and relocating is worth trying.

I think I'll try that avenue next!

Thanks again!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Havahart trap, crackers with peanut butter. But, the floor of those traps is screen, and squirrels really get the claws working when they're pissed off or scared. So, don't put the trap on the car carpet. They claws will damage it. Get a piece of carpet to protect the vehicle.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom