Speaking of dill

My dill is blooming now, and my cucumbers got a *really* late start and are only about 3 inches tall.

What's the best stage to pick the dill and stuff it into bags in the freezer to wait for the cukes? Do I pick it when it has seeds but they are still green? And what about packing a quart jar with short sections of stems and filling with vinegar? (to flavor the vinegar and to preserve the dill stems)

I should know all this, but it's been so long since I've had dill *and* cukes I forgot.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I'd do it when the dill heads are yellow and pretty.

I would. Reminds me I should pay a visit to Brother John today. :-)

That sounds tasty. If you stuff the dill heads into the jar head down, stem up, should be easier to get it out of the jar. Hey! Are you planning to use the dill infusion for picking the cukes? That'd be good.

I remember that someone posted (here?) about picking the dill, rinsing it and giving it a shake to remove excess water, then rolling it in freezer wrap (coated on one side kind of stuff) and freezing. Stick the roll into a bag.When you need it, you simply unroll the roll and remove what you need and leave the rest rolled in. Howzat sound?

(My cukes are about 1/2" long.)

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'