Some mofo animals eat sprouted melons

I planted a few melons on a nice topsoil hill on a sunny location. But, somehow, as soon as the seeds sprout, they are eaten by some disgusting animals. If, due to luck, the sporouted seed grows a little bit, those animals lose interest and the plant conrinues to grow. Any idea what I can do to stop it.
Ignoramus29346 said:

Put a cap of bird netting or hardware cloth over your seeds hills to exclude birds. They are my biggest problem when it comes to sprouting seeds.

Sound like another attack of the dreaded melon collies!!!!

<snip>
*groan* That was BAD!