Since I don't know spit about roses...........

Howdy, maddie here, Since I don't know spit about roses, I'm cutting and pasting this question I got from my former sister in law who I keep in touch with because despite that her brother, my ex-husband is still a bendejo', she's rather neat and living in South Dakota......please advise me and I'll pass on the advice toot sweet! Thanks! ___________________________________________________________________________= ____

I have a rose bush beside my front door=85pale pink roses, tea rose, I think=85

Anyway, for the last few years, it has had some kind of condition that I haven=92t been able to eradicate.

The buds form, and the roses bloom, and soon thereafter the hearts begin to turn brown/tan. The foliage is okay

except where the grasshoppers have nipped the leaves. The rose hips have now formed, but the crowns of them are

a dark brown, and there is what looks like tiny gobs of sh!t, bigger than fly specks, smaller than a grain of rice. They

don=92t appear to have life, but I can=92t really tell. Like the grainy poop of a tomato horn worm, only smaller=85

The first season this happened, and I think the second, there were what I thought was flea beetles in the hearts. This

year, I did not see the black bugs, but the hearts still basically decomposed after bloom. I tried Sevin (sp?) the first

two years. This year, I just let them be. I imagine this should be treated with some kind of systemic pesticide.

Should I try to move it? It has been in that spot for eight years or so. It is near my composting bin, if that has any significance.

Any suggestions from the Master Gardener??

___________________________________________________________________________= ____

thanks for any real, good advice. maddie gardening and helping out here in the green bowl, surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest and the Appalachians now instead of the Smokies in zone 7b, Sunset zone ?? 36??

Reply to
madgardener1

The evidence of droppings would warrant more observations, even better to take a look at night, early morning and evening. Roses are very vulnerable to diseases and there may be a combination of issues here. First, make sure the roses get adequate ventilation and it is best to water in the morning to control fungus. A good pruning can help the air movement. A rose systemic will help control insect damage. I don't like the systemic products that contain inorganic fertilizers because roses prefer rotted cow manure, fish emulsion, and other organics (they told me so!) I'd hold back the fertilizer for awhile. A product called "Messenger" is a protein that can help boost the plants' immune system if applied every 3 weeks. Transplanting an established rose is a risky move due to the long tap root. If it gets

6+ hours of daily sun it is probably okay, and it's unlikely to be suffering from lack of fertilizer being next to a compost bin. Finally, have patience--growing roses takes time and more care than most other plants.

I almost lost my Don Juan roses to black spot fungus (famous in E.TN). I heavily pruned back the bushes and they bounced back the following year, rewarding me with a huge burst of blooms.

Reply to
Phisherman

thanks Phisherman!!!! (((((huge MADDIE hug)))))) sent the info to her and told her to Google the rec.gardens for great people to chat about gardening and such.........might be interesting to see her "face" over the garden fence........ maddie

Reply to
madgardener1

You're Welcome. Hope she finds the cause and solution. I love roses.

Reply to
Phisherman