Shrub/Small Tree Suggestion (Zone 5)

I am looking to shade-in my air conditioning units with a small tree or a few tall shrubs. They are close to the hosue so I wouldn't plant anything that gets bigger then about 15' I am in NE Ohio (Zone 5) and the area is in full sun with clay soil. Ideally I'd like somthing either fragrant or with showy flowers (or both!) I was thinking lilac or mock-orange, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would welcome them. thanks!

Reply to
mwieder

How about a fragrant Viburnum burkwoodii?

fragrant and interesting Heptacodium miconioides aka Seven Son Tree

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

How about a serviceberry? Some like the Amelanchier Grandiflora (

)are more tree like and others like the Amelanchier Canadensis (
) are more shrub like. In large part it depends upon how you prune as to whether you have a small tree or shrub. These are one of my favorite plants!

Reply to
LAH

Thanks Newt! I'm not sure the Viburnum would be tall enough but the Heptacodium looks like a good option, assuming it can handle the clay soil and zone

5 (from what I've read it seems marginally zone 5 and with the clay soil I wonder if it won't freeze)
Reply to
mwieder

thanks for the suggestion about serviceberry - I'm a little concerned that a berry tree will make a mess over the air conditioning units (berries falling in to the vents). ANyone have experience with this?

Reply to
mwieder

I know all about how messy some berry trees (mulberries!) can be. Never had a mess with my serviceberry. The fruit are not extremely juicey and birds tend to make off with them when they are barely mature anyway. Fruit dropping has never been issue. My favorite serviceberry visitors are Cedar Waxwings and orioles, the most common visitors are robins. (Mobs of them.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz