Should I cut the eop off?

I have a Sutherland Gold Elder shrub that I planted last year as a young shrub. This year it has not branched out but gone straight up over 6 feet tall. Should I cut the top off to make it branch out at the sides?

Lori

Reply to
kayla

Yes, you can crop it but do it at the beginning of the season, not now. In my zone 6 that would be around May.

Reply to
told2b

Thanks. I'm zone 5 so the answer is still the same. I was hoping to clip it now but I thought I should check first.

Lori

Reply to
kayla