Shaping the Japanese maple

Is there a special way to shape it up, or do I just take the cutters and make it into an acceptable shape - something more round than what it it now? Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've found they have their own shape. Tree like aka upright or sometimes the low folding low secretive forms that begs water and stones. I cut when they touch my home. Pruning for your design..... like pruning a dogwood is not some thing I do. There is a maple outside my front door that is 18 inches wide and 12 inches tall. This for an attempt at bonzai 30 years ago. It's parent is 30 feet wide and 18 feet tall ! Wonderful fun like having different children.
Make a few mistakes but keep on.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade 39 38 14.80 N 75 01 11.48 W
If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree - I highly suggest reading this book. And do not use wound dressing. Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

I didnt know anybody "shaped" them. for me at least their beauty is their natural shape. Ingrid