Semi Dwarf fruit tree spacing

Same as yours. I have grown and am presently growing semidwarf and dwarf fruit trees. I've tried his method; it works. Do the trees compete for resources? Yes. Does pruning them as he suggests keep there production down? Yes. The whole Idea is to keep the trees small and managable with a manageable amount of fruit. If you have a small yard and want a variety of fruit without having to throw or give most of away because you can't use it this is one way to go. If you've got a couple of acres, by all means, spread them out. Just be prepared for all the fruit you're going to get.

The OP was asking if he had enough spacing for his trees. I posted a reference to show that trees can be planted closer than the spacing he had used. Merely that. Last I looked, universities and research stations were much more interested in helping farmers and agribusiness that they were the backyard gardener. You probably don't think much of square foot gardening either, do you?

Bill

-- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Reply to
Bill

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

if that were true, espailering wouldn't work... and espailered fruit trees have been around for centuries because it *does* work. no, you can't go pruning off all the fruiting branches, but severe pruning as on that page will allow production in small areas. yes, it's a lot of work learning the proper techniques, but if tou want an orchard & only

*have* a tiny yard, it *will* work. you learn what you need to get the results you want. isn't that how most things in life work? lee
Reply to
enigma

espalier is not used for commercial production. it is decorative and production IS severely cut down. Ingrid

enigma wrote:>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

The tree has been pruned so that it has 8 - 10 big branches that sprawl outwards, starting at about 8-10 feet off of the ground. I can't reach anything on the tree without a ladder. I actually like the tree, I think I'll let it grow this year and see how it produces - I bought the property a few months ago, and don't know how the tree will grow or produce. I'll see if I can find some pics of the tree, maybe some here can look at it and offer their opinion. It's quite old, the bark has a lot of woodpecker holes in it and is peeling in places. I'm not sure of the overall health of the tree.

Reply to
Zootal

Really? And your words of wisdom are so much more to be believed than a company who's been in the nursery business since 1938? Why?

Bill

-- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Reply to
Bill

Not by pruning, but by selecting the proper rootstock.

In this case, the technology helps both for somewhat different purposes. The ease of maintenance helps the commercial people as much as the home gardener. The two groups need not be at cross purposes.

You are trying very hard to stereotype me. I do practice square foot gardening, but I fail to see the connection here. We both agree on the benefits of using dwarfing rootstock, but you were defending this Dave Wilson Nursery who thinks summer pruning is the only way to control tree spacing in the home orchard. A friend of mine has a small city lot and has almost 100 dwarf trees on M27 rootstock in his backyard (they are only about 6 feet tall). Check out his backyard on

Dave Wilson Nursery even lists the characteristics of M27 rootstock and comes to this strange conclusion anyways. Summer pruning is mainly used to open up a tree and rid it of suckers and crossed branches, not size control. Severly pruning a fruit tree will produce an ugly tree and cut down yield appreciably. Fruit production should be controlled by thinning, not pruning.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

I still think the nursery is giving out poor advice.

Their 'Backyard Orchard Culture' lays out things which do not make sense. If I wanted a small tree, why would I buy a big growth tree and chop the hell out of it? That's why there are rootstocks that produce trees as small as 6 feet high, and even this nursery sells them. Planting more than one tree in a hole is another abomination that results in several trees competing with each other and possibly strangling themselves to death. My knowledge base is not just my own, but is somewhat of a consensus of the opinion of the many members of the fruit growing club of which I am an active member. This nursery may sell good trees and rootstocks, but they are giving the wrong messages on how to plant and maintain them.

Sherw> > >

Reply to
sherwindu

Why don't you just not go off defending someone you say doesn't need help?

Read your own drivel. I don't care what your oppion of Dvae's Garden is. There is lots of advice which does not follow proven horticultural practices.

bahB

Reply to
bahbcat

After a tree has been trained as a espalier it will not need "excessive" pruning. But such tree forms were one of the reason dwarfing rootstocks were investigated and used.

And yes, I have seen espalied full size apple trees. I didn't come here to argue. My my my...

hapy gardening is happy gardening. It ain't 1984 no more, this is a Brave New World.

baHBBB bbsmcn (I like lopping)

Reply to
bahbcat

Why not learn how to quote and post properly. Oh ya, gmail and google groups. I'm giving your opinion all the due it deserves.