Scale on Phalaenopsis

I have a Phalaenopsis in a greenhouse window in my breakfast room. It seems to do quite well there, blooming every year. However, it and the other plants in the window seem to get infested with scale.
I've treated the other plants in the window with a soil drench of imidacloprid, a systemic insecticide. It seems to be effective and give long-term results. Is this safe to use when watering my orchid?
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/ .

It appears that your soil is the problem, check pH and sterlize the soil. I will show you How
I am an Organic Gardener, treating plants with Herbs and Spices, no chemicals required. visit my site http://groups.google.com/group/pakgardenclub -
I am online to meet your requirements shah

If you are going to spam this group at least give a link that works.
David

Better, don't spam this group, and don't leave any link. An' don't let the door hit you on the way out.
--
- Billy
On 4/19/10 11:10 PM, shahwin wrote:

Phalaenopsis does NOT grow in soil. Mine is growing in bark chips. Other growers prefer fern fiber.
While I do use some organic principles in gardening, I'm not dogmatic about it. See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_organic.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Great, battling web sites ;O)
--
- Billy
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:18:27 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Phals are dirt cheap and can be had at most big box stores or even Trader Joe's or Costco or BJs for $10-$20 - even exotic ones. Unless it is a fabulous specimen or has some sentimental value, I'd get rid of it.
Scale on orchids is nasty, difficult to eradicate and time consuming to tend. I'd ditch the phal, myself, including the potting medium, and I'd sterilize the pot before re-using it.
I have switched as many of my orchids as I can to "semi-hydroponic" as it is known. I get my stuff at the link below and have about 30-40 orchids in it. It took quite awhile to convince me of its worth, but I am a believer now. I have no connection to the comp nay indicated below, I am just a happy customer.
http://www.firstrays.com/semi-hydro.htm
Boron
Hi there David, I have had an uphill battle with scale & mealybugs over the years. Not sure about the systemic insecticide you are using? Does it have a brand name? I know years ago I used a system called Cygon & it was taken off the shelf here in Calif. I kept notes on my spraying & dipping & found that the flowers were deformed on those plants! I repot now whenever I see signs of any bugs along with cleaning & spraying. By the way the members of this News group also alt.binaries.pictures.orchids have joined up on an email listing via Ray of firstrays.com as the servers are slowing closing down on news groups. I will post details in my next posting Would love to see you on our orchid list. Cheers Wendy

Imidacloprid will work fine as either a spray or drench and will not hurt your orchids as long as the label is followed. If you are getting your Imidacloprid from a tree and shrub product you are not using the product as labeled and you will need to search the web for proper rates.