In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat
unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it
with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.
Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the
pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children
and domestic pet considerations.
Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.
On 9 Jun 2004 10:41:42 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org (john) wrote:
The salt will leach into other planted areas and ordinary salt (sodium
chloride) is not good for most plants and not good for concrete, brick
nor stone. Plus, you will get unsightly salt markings on your pavers.
RoundUp is safe for children and pets. Or you could use a propane
torch or boiling water.
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:40:23 +0000, Phisherman wrote:
I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree
with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with
children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into it.
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:37:33 -0400, Elaine Wald wrote:
Cretin eh..? All you can do is call me names but supply no proof of me as
being such? Where's your proof that round up isn't a controlled poison? So
if your child drinks roundup you shouldn't call poison control? Is round
up a new type of herbicide that isn't a poison. There is tons of
information on the fact that roundup is a poison, strange that I've only
found two references to the fact that it's "safe" for children and pets.
Weird how it destroys fish, frogs and other creatures.... but does nothing
to you and your children. I would assume that you need to stfu and stop
call people names Elaine. Your lack of self esteem is showing through......
See what Monsanto has to say about their own product:
For any "chemical" substance, you will find those who warn of the
"dangers" involved. However, glysophate (RoundUp) is virtually
non-toxic to humans and pets. A child is *much* more likely to be
harmed by "getting into" aspirin, dish soap, or beer. The 'caution' on
the RoundUp label says to "keep out of the reach of children," and
that after *ingestion*, some irritation may occur.
Almost anything can be a "poison," if ingested in suffieicent
quantities, including water. Glysophate is an effective herbicide, not
a human poison.
Absolutely right, Frogleg! For you others, check to see what they use
as the base chemical for comparing toxicity of all other chemicals.
The base is sodium chloride (common salt). Which, by the way is very
toxic to humans in anything other than trace amounts. And Glysophate
(roundup) is very near the bottom of the toxicity chart, not much
higher than water.
Boiling water works good for me. I have a short sidewalk and it's
right outside my kitchen door, so when I'm making tea, it's easy to
step outside, and pour the extra hot water on whatever is growing
through the sidewalk cracks. Maybe it's not practical for a longer
sidewalk, but it works good for me.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.