Round-Up- how long wait before planting?

Reluctantly I used Round-Up (tfui!) on an small area where nasty weeds had been obnoxiously growing around a stump I have just had removed.
I want to put something else in there, but am not too experienced with Round-Up.
How long should I wait, for safety's sake, before transplanting a shrub in that area?
TIA
Hypatia
On 5/24/2010 8:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You can safely overplant immediately. But it might be better to wait until the weeds are showing some distress before you disturb them, to make sure the RU has made its way into the roots.
Bob

Sorry, my message was not clear. The gardener who dug out the stump took the weeds out as well. I was worried about deeper roots, so applied the (tfui) Round-Up. Nothing is now showing on the surface, so that is why I am confused about how long I need to wait while Round-Up does its thing underground.
On 5/24/10 8:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I read the label of RoundUp concentrate some time ago, but I remember that three days is sufficient time for the chemical remaining in the soil to decompose. Its action depends on being taken up through foliage and then translocating via sap into the roots. Any RoundUp applied to the soil is wasted, but it is not persistent.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Higgs Boson wrote:

You are wasting your time as it will not do anything underground. Glyphoste needs to be absorbed through the leaves of the plant to work, it may then be transported to other parts and so kill the whole plant not just where it touched. This is why you are instructed to apply it to plants when they are growing vigorously for best results.
David

OK, thanks to both Davids. I should have read the label before I posted. Just was nervous about Round-Up. So I can feel free to transplant. Tx again.

In my (belated) defense, I DID read the damn label, but evidently I didn't understand it very well!
zxcvbob wrote:

Beyond that, does the label on the Roundup address that issue? I would think it would.
Tony