Roses

I have a slope that slipped in 2005 in a record-breaking rain storm. It was finally repaired this summer. The regrading impacted the rose bed at the foot of the slope. Impacted? Not even stumps of roses planted more than 20 years ago remain! :(
I have located sources to replace all but three. The three roses that I can't find are:     'Color Magic'     Climbing 'Peace'     Climbing 'Chrysler Imperial'
I did a Google search for these. All "hits" on 'Color Magic' and climbing 'Peace' seem to indicate "Sold Out". "Hits" on climbing 'Chrysler Imperial' were all for sources of other climbing roses and for 'Chrysler Imperial' as a shrub.
I'm hoping to plant my roses in January. While I'm looking for bare-root plants, I will buy plants that were very recently potted into 1 gallon cans.
Can anyone help me? Although I generally avoid mail-ordering live plants, I will make an exception for these.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

David first of all I hope that you're safe from the fires!
Do you have a good reliable nursery nearby that specializes in roses? Go to them and ask if they have your roses on their order list and ask them to order one from their supplier. I think part of the problem is that you are too late for the 2007 crop and too early for the 2008 crop. They will be digging bare roots soon, and nurseries are sending in their orders now.
You also might look at the American Rose Society website and see if you have a local Rose Society. Their members might be able to help you out with a source.
You also might find someone who has these roses in their own garden and would give you a cutting to start a new plant. Roses start pretty easily from cuttings.(again a rose society might help here)
Good luck. Emilie NorCal
On 10/22/2007 6:06 PM, mleblanca wrote:

Yes, we are quite safe from the fires. Even if a fire was headed directly towards us, we would be safe. That's because a fire came through here two years ago, stopped less than a half-mile from my house by the Ventura County Fire Department with help from Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City departments. Since then, there has been too little rain for the brush to regrow.
I have already tried several excellent major independent and chain nurseries, including one nursery that sells nothing but roses. Apparently, these three are not in the Weeks or Jackson & Perkins catalogues.
The problem with cuttings from other hobby gardenders is that the patents on these three might still be in effect. While there is such a thing as fair-use copying of copyrighted material, there is no such thing for patents.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:03:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Otto and Sons near Fillmore lists Color Magic, they might have an idea where you could get the others you are looking for. It'd be worth a call.
http://www.ottoandsons-nursery.com/index.htm
unless you are the patent police I wouldnt worry about patents on a cutting from a rose bush. just dont cultivate it for sale. Ingrid

David Heirloom Roses in Oregon has Color Magic on their list online:
www.heirloomroses.com
Emilie

snip
David these roses are too old for patents to still be valid
Cl Chrysler Imperial is from 1957. Cl Peace is l95l , no patent lasts 50 years Color Magic is from 1978 /thats 30 years, also too old for a patent So go ahead with cuttings if you find the plants. Emilie