rose pruning 101

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to roses; and most other plants now that I think of it. So now that I've planted a few roses I've looked for pointers on pruning and encountered the following advice from an online seller: "cut the cane at a 45-degree slant about - inch above the bud eye" So my question is, what is a "bud eye?" TIA. Vic snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
On 19 Oct 2003 21:43:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Vrstull) wrote:

Roses are not a "beginner" plant as these typically need lots of special care to grow well. An "eye bud" is located where the 5-leaflet of leaves meets the stem. There will be a tiny ball in that crease when viewed from the top. BTW, it is generally not a good idea to prune a rose at the time of planting, and pruning roses before cold winter months is not wise.
Vrstull wrote:

A bud eye is a growth bud (as compared with a flower bud).
See my rose pruning page at <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_rosepruning.html . =
--

David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean