Robin nesting in tricky spot

It's weird. Last spring the robin drug a bunch of stuff like excelsior to build a nest on top of the exterior light by my front door. Then she changed her mind (always a woman's prerogative), picked it all up, and built a nest across the street in a neighbors window sill. Did OK there, as far as I know.

This year she's back, and she's built it, and she's nesting in it. She doesn't even have enough room to turn around unless she c**ks her tail straight up vertically.

I'm not gonna bother her, and I doubt the mailman will interfere, but there have to be other possibilities. I live in a densely populated big city in the midwest US.

Any suggestions? Should I leave her be? Try to protect her (how?)? Etc, etc.

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

The North American Robin is what is known as a 'shelf nester' and, as you've seen they really seem to love porch lights. Although the location seems clumsy to you the parents will probably do just fine if they aren't bothered too much. The location is probably completely immune to external attacks there.

When I was a child the same pair of robins built nests on our back door porchlight and successfully raised several broods except for one year when one hatchling fell from the nest and onto the porch. My mother and I hand raised it and the next spring the nestling showed up perched on the porch railing and deigned to be hand fed again. The next year an older robin showed up the same way and would let us get within a couple of feet but not close enough for feeding. I'd say, let the birds be and if they made a good choice they will do fine and you might just get some entertainment and a friend in the bargain.

Reply to
John McGaw

House is brick. Squirrels can get up there if they want. No cats.

The top of the porch light is metal and kinda pointed. Glass globe hangs down from it. I'm sure she simply failed to get the nest properly weaved last year. But she's got it now.

Sounds good to me. She seems to be doing OK.

Thanks for a very nice little story.

Best, P

Puddin' Man