[REPOST] Piling leaves around trees

[I was hoping for more discussion. "Volcanoes" bad, but how about this below? Anyone?]

Our local park has pecan trees growing in topsoil-depleted, compacted, limestone rock and sand, high PH. The trees apparently survived by a sprinkler system, that became defunct years ago. Rain runs off before much soaks into the well draining "soil". The trees are suffering with more ends of their limbs dying off each year.

Here's what we did. We ringed the trunk with fence to protect the root flare, and added a 18' diameter fence around that. We have about a foot of slowly composting, damp but not soggy, leaves inside the fence. We're also covering the rest of the park with composted wood mulch. The advantages of retaining soil moisture, getting some biota going, especially worms, and getting organic nutrients into the soil were our primary goals. Given your concerns, do any apply to our experiment?

Deciduous trees have adapted to dealing with some accumulation of leaves, > and in fact befit form the reduced competition that derives from leaf fall > in forests. > > The practice of suffocating the landscape with artificial concentrations of > leaves has ramifications to which native trees are not necessarily adapted: > Increased rot at the root collar; girdling of smaller trees by rodents > living in the warm, decaying piles; anoxia of the soil as the leaves turn to > snotty slime ( in some cases);changes in soil pH not usual for woodland > settings; binding of nitrogen d=from the soil as decay of all the carbon in > the leaves drains local resources, etc. > > In short...usually not a good thing. Your neighbors should mimic nature > more. When was the last time you noticed leaves naturally heaping themselves > into volcanoes about trees?? > > ML > > -- > Mike LaMana, MS, CTE > Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC > Toms River, NJ >
cat daddy

As stated in the previous posting, composting leaves will actually draw nitrogen from the surrounding soil. So I would recommend first composting the leaves separately and then applying them, after break down, to the tree area. That foot of leaves is mostly air and will not give a large amount of insulation, as would previously composted material. Chopped up leaves would help a bit to compact the layer. Although its a lot of work, you should loosen the compacted dirt around the drip line of the trees to allow nutrients to enter more easily, being careful not to damage any of the tree roots in the process. If the soil contains a lot of sand, it should make loosening of the soil an easier task. You might also want to add some slow decomposing fertilizer, like cow manure, to restore the soil, mixing it into the top layer of soil. Here in the Midwest, our clay soil has poor drainage, and so I have to add sand to my trees.

Sherw> [I was hoping for more discussion. "Volcanoes" bad, but how about this > below? Anyone?]

Reply to
sherwindu

I wish I could compost seperately, but it's not really practical. I'm also thinking there's not much in the way of nutrients to leach.

Hmmm, insulation here in Texas is more about keeping the ground cool and moist. Given Mike's concern about anoxia, I'm thinking that leaving it as fluffy as I can might be something to consider.

Aaachhh!!!! Although a great idea (for someone else with a shovel), the area has the greatest traffic because of the shade of the trees. I also should have mentioned that this is a leash-free dogpark. Lots of little feet........ When damp the soil absorbs well, but when dried out, it's like concrete. Actually, it is primitive concrete...........

I'd like to do that in the Spring. I don't know how to explain that to the other park users, though....... I'm hoping for an invasion of earthworms to do most of the dirty work.

Thanks for your comments.

concentrations

Reply to
cat daddy

"I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to compost your dog manure before spreading it. Fresh isn't allowed."

Reply to
Warren

Yeah, some people even asked if the leaf piles were where we should put the dog poop. As least they asked.......... }:-/ Speaking of fresh, it would be amusing (for a while) to see which dogs have that penchant for rolling in stinky stuff. After they chase me down and corner me in the back of the park, it might be less amusing......

Reply to
cat daddy