Replace Lawn

My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove the old grass underneath it first ?

First of all, do it in September, not now.

I would correct the problems you have before wasting money on new sod.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Yep, weeds and such will creep up the 1" of soil seeking sunlight. A burial of 4" or more inches of soil may work. But, not 100% effective.
Consider getting rid of the current weeds first. Rake out the bare spots. Then, put some topsoil or verified good sandy loam on top. If lightly done, the former grass will break through. At least St. Augustine and Bermuda do in my experiences. Dave

Don't do anything until you've figured out why your lawn is full of weeds and bare soil. Compaction? Fertility? Shade? Watering? Poor selection of species? Too much foot traffic? Bad mowing?
Fix the problem(s) first.
Kay