red berry or seed?

Hello all,
I took this photo of what appeared to me at the time to be red berries,
but now I am not sure and am interested in finding out exactly what they are.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3837077-lg.jpg
Each red "berry" is oblong and is only about 1/3 inch long. Usually hanging off in groups of 2, 3, or 4 and they have little knobs on the opposite end of where they attach. I found them in little patches usually nearby the base of sugar maple trees near the south shore in Massachusetts, USA.
I believe they had pasty insides. I took a couple home, and after drying out, I find they have a single small black seed inside.
Thanks for any help! -Tom
Looks like a fruiting stem of a Barberry (Berberis).
http://images.google.com/images?q rberry&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
The fruit is by definition a berry.

Thanks a lot! Looking at the photos, I definitely think you're correct.
-Tom