red banana pepper

Hello; garden newbie here.
This year I planted banana peppers, green and red peppers in one of my raised beds. Out of the huge number of banana peppers I grew this year, one banana pepper was red instead of yellow. It had a slightly sweeter taste than the usual yellow banana peppers.
What would cause this to happen ... environmental conditions, some kind of cross-pollination, or ?
Thanks in advance.

Dave - When I was at a local Farmer's market last Saturday morning, I purchased some little sweet peppers, that came in yellow, orange, and red! They were all shaped like banana peppers. I used them in a Mango Chili Salsa, I made. And, they were wonderful!
Did you keep the seeds from that particular red pepper??? Maybe you could develop your own hybrid!
Myrl Jeffcoat http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Oops, turned out the banana pepper turned red after it came off the plant ... I guess this is what happens as banana peppers mature, off the plant?
Banana peppers are yellow to red peppers. They will turn red even on the plant when ripe. Thier cusomary use has been in the immature yellow stage, just as with green bells. Leave them to get ripe and they change to their ripe color.

Dave,
As I mentioned, it will also do it on the plant. Probably better to defer to that. It may make the pepper more tasty.
Sherwin
Dave wrote:

I too planted the banana pepper. I believe they all start out yellow, and if you leave them on the plant long enough, they will turn red. Mine do.
Sherwin