red banana pepper

Hello; garden newbie here.

This year I planted banana peppers, green and red peppers in one of my raised beds. Out of the huge number of banana peppers I grew this year, one banana pepper was red instead of yellow. It had a slightly sweeter taste than the usual yellow banana peppers.

What would cause this to happen ... environmental conditions, some kind of cross-pollination, or ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dave

Dave - When I was at a local Farmer's market last Saturday morning, I purchased some little sweet peppers, that came in yellow, orange, and red! They were all shaped like banana peppers. I used them in a Mango Chili Salsa, I made. And, they were wonderful!

Did you keep the seeds from that particular red pepper??? Maybe you could develop your own hybrid!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl

plant ... I guess this is what happens as banana peppers mature, off the plant?

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
farmerdill

I too planted the banana pepper. I believe they all start out yellow, and if you leave them on the plant long enough, they will turn red. Mine do.

Sherw> Hello; garden newbie here.

Reply to
sherwindu

Dave,

As I mentioned, it will also do it on the plant. Probably better to defer to that. It may make the pepper more tasty.

Sherw> > >

Reply to
sherwindu