Re: mystery flower/weed

It's a zinnia (Zinnia elegans). Pretty.
Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7
Shame on you.
You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.
Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.
The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

Cereoid-UR12-" snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

When it comes to such seeds as zinnia, birds drop them by accident, not generally by poop. Seed-eating birds (and zinnia seeds are a favorite of many birds) digest such seeds and what comes out the other end ain't viable. Poop-planted seeds are generally those that are indigestible, such as fruit seeds or hard-shelled seeds that are accidentally swallowed whole. That being said, the zinnia probably ended up in DV's planter exactly the way you described, particularly since the timing would be a bit off for the alternative.
Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7
Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

We should mention, too, that if you allow the seeds to fall into your box you will probably see more of these little sweeties next year.
Callen, haven't put in new zinnia seeds in 3 years
For somebody from New Jersey, you sure say a lot of stupid things, Tyra.
Never said that Zinnia seeds were carried in bird poop.
Zinnias do not have fleshy fruit that are eaten by birds.
Did suggest that the Zinnia seed came some other way.
You should read the whole reply before jumping to conclusions.

many
fruit
being
"Cereoid-UR12-" snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

Hey, I'm sorry, but the Official New Jersey State Brain is out on loan until Monday. I thought I'd do without it just to see what would happen. But despite that, I did in fact read every word you wrote.
Didn't miss a syllable.
Didn't say you suggested that the zinnia seeds arrived in poop. (Did you read MY whole reply?) I thought that what you wrote could be interpreted as indication birds don't drop seeds but rather only poop 'em. Since I know you know differently, I figured I'd just clarify....not particularly for you but for anyone who cared to follow along with the thread. Nothing else to it.
Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7
I love zinnias. I was at a talk recently and the speaker referred to them as garish :o(
I love bright colors and zinnias sure come in bright colors. I love reds and oranges, it's hard to get that in a zone 5 garden... so I do it with annuals.
Colleen zone 5 Connecticut
Maybe the prissy fusspot was running out of fey adjectives or lost his copy of Roget's thesaurus!
Zinnias are one of the best native American wildflowers to be cultivated as garden plants.

as
and
annuals.