Re: I have a questioon about creating a pseudo-bog.

These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing water

> during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun. > But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump pump > that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing machine > can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump > discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at time > be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let > nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and ginger > lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions? > > Zone 7 > > Marc > >
Reply to
dkat

You might like to switch to a biodegradeable powder (Ecover in Europe?) and let the waste water stand for a while in a barrel before discharging into your bog area. The soapy water I put on my garden does no harm, but thats just hand soap without any anti-bacterial action.

Reply to
groovy

Creating a permanent patch of stagnant water may not be a good idea if you live where West Nile virus has spread. There's no point in providing mosquitoes with more places to breed.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Greywater needs to be widely distributed to minimize damage, I believe it would be a poor choice for the bog.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Do a web search on "wetlands sewage treatment gray water". How much room do you have? The way I have seen natural sewage treatment work is that you run the dirtiest water into the hardiest plants and that water filters through them to the next level.

Reply to
dkat

Although your climate is different from Montreal, you might try contacting the Montr=E9al Botanical Garden (Jardin botanique). They have a very nice bog garden section. Their English language Web site is at . =

Reply to
David Ross