Pruning Question

I got one of those key lime trees as a gift. It's in a small planter. The instructions say to prune it to make it bushier if I want. However, I don't know what to prune. It's about 9 inches tall. There is one branch going off the side. There are leaves all the way up the "Y" split.
Should I trim back the tall part? If so, how much? If not, then when do I prune and where?
Much obliged for the feedback.
Hi Jim, I would not do any heavy pruning on such a young tree. You can do it in stages from year to year. You can prune in the Spring, as other times would encourage the tree to put out more growth. If you want a lower more spread out tree, reduce the height by cutting back on the main tall (leader) branch.
Sherwin Dubren
Jim Carr wrote:

Jim Carr wrote:

A plant that size should not be pruned. You may pinch out the tips of the branches to make them bushy. However, I would wait until it is about 2 feet tall.
In the meantime, you should consider repotting it into a large container. Even dwarf citrus should be in containers at least 16 inches in diameter and equally deep.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean