Pruning - long branches with leaves ONLY on top

I have several bushes that have long branches (from 12 inches to 3 feet) where there are only leaves on the top. The shrubs are buckthorns, ashleaf spirea and beauty bush. The person at my local nursery said to "flush" them but cutting them all the way down but honestly, if I do that, I'll have nothing left on the bush since the majority of branches on each of these bushes only have leaves at the top. Does anybody know what I should do?

Reply to
ackeiyword

Though cherry trees are attractive,they are more disease prone and leaf loss can happen because of fungal infection.Cherry tree requires most attention and care.First remove the fungus infected part because they can still contain spores that can reinfect the plant or others nearby.Have a practice of using planting material which are virus free.

Reply to
allen73