Protecting Irrigation Lines

On about 4 acres of property we have maybe 400' of black tubing 1/2" (5/8"?) running above ground over often rocky terrain. We live in the Sierra foothills at 2700' and rabbits, deer, and some other animals like to pierce the the 1/2" tubing and the smaller 1/8" drip lines. It's mostly done where the lines run through bushes. I guess they like to munch on something while they are hiding under the shade. Burying the line is a consideration, but it's hard work even with a medium trencher because of the many underground rocks. PVC might be the best bet. Perhaps 3/4" PVC main lines and 1/4" PVC (if it's made) over the smaller lines. However, it might be good to have some flexibility as already provided by the drip lines. Maybe there's something else that can be done. Comments?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>
The only strategy I can offer is to enclose the 1/2" drip lines in 1" PVC. There are no 1/4" PVC tubes, so 1/2" would have to do for those. Burying them by dumping dirt on them might do the trick. We do have a pretty large pile of dirt on the property. I'll have to check into a small back hoe with a loader. However, there would still be some areas that require manual labor.