Progression from garden fence

Young couple moved into rented house next door a few months ago and they are friendly and we chat to them over the garden fence, now and again.
They decided they are getting married in a couple of weeks, and have invited us to a wedding reception a nearby local venue, in the evening after the wedding.
We are in our seventies and wont really fit into their young crowd who are into drinking quite a lot. Also we won't know anyone apart from the couple. In a way we would prefer not to go, but dot want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Also the question of a gift? Finances are not good for us at the moment so won't want to spend a lot. What might be a good thing to get that's not expensive?

garden as a permanent memory of the day?
--
Pete C
Joe's Newcastle meet, 18th Aug

But it is a rented house so make it a tree in a pot.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:15:35 +0100, "john turner"

At your advanced age you don't need any noisy rugrats either so how about a case of condoms. Or you can save yourselves shame when having to face them into the future so put on your dancing slippers and attend the party, and bring a bottle of bubbly and a couple of crystal flutes. It's a party, you don't need to know the other guests but this is a good opportunity to meet your neighbor's family/friends... be well assured had they thouhgt you'd be out of place they'd not have invited you... they don't want to embarrass themselves either. At your advanced age you should know how to comport yourselves at an affair with strangers... demonstrate some wisdom.... it's a wedding reception, odds are you won't be the oldest guests, and so what if you are, being around young folks will make you fel younger too. And anyway, guests don't have profound discussions at wedding receptions, they make light/superficial chit chat but are mostly there to have fun. I'd go for the food, booze, and to see the young gals bosoms bounce and to scope out their cleavage.
john turner wrote:

What about a *lucky dip* lottery ticket or two? You never know... :-)
--
MCC

When in doubt, I always make a charitable contribution to the organization of their choice. It's quite acceptable for you to contact them and ask where they would like the contribution directed. (Heaven forbid they should name a group that is anathema to you!). And thank them for the reception invite, but explain that you don't go out much in the evening. Covers all bases.
HB
HB