Potato troubles...?

Howdy,

I am (brand) new to planting potatoes and decided to put in two varieties: Yukon Golds and Russets.

They have grown beautifully since planting, but now, all at once, I am having real trouble.

On virtually every plant, (they are about 18" tall by the way) nearly all the leaves have become very curly and shriveled. The plants look like the are soon to die off.

I can see no insect infestations, and the soil is well drained and receives what I would assume to be an appropriate amount of water. The soil is well balanced in terms of the three primary nutrients.

I know that this is a limited description, but would certainly welcome thoughts from the more experienced potato gardeners out there.

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

don't know where you are or when you planted them. But potatoes vines tend to die suddenly when they have finished producing a crop of tubers. In the mid Atlantic, this occurs in late June early July at which time the potatoes are dug. Here in Georgia, very early June.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Yup good advice. Also remember it is possible to take small potatoes early on. Take a peak a few weeks after flowers. Yummy boiled with parsley and butter added or an early potato salad after the stored potatoes have dulled our sense buds. Either way tis good to know what fresh can be.

William(Bill)

Reply to
William Wagner

Hello all,

The puzzle is that I believed that the vines never flowered...

Someone with whom I work pointed out this morning that I was away from the garden from about June 10 for nearly two weeks...

I live in New Hampshire...

It now appears likely that I simply missed the flowering of the vines.

This morning I got out a fork, trudged over to the garden, and harvested the first of my potatoes. They were wonderful!

Thanks to all,

Reply to
Kenneth

Funny, I have the exact same thing happening - Yukon Golds, in VT, and just got back from a week away to find the potatoes wilting and yellowing - I also never saw them flower at all but was also away for about a week in June. I had some trouble with pests this year (mainly some Colorado potato beetles but also some other pests), which I think I successfully treated using interplanting of dead nettle and picking the buggers off.

Anyway I couldn't figure out what the heck was killing the plants as I usually experience pretty healthy growth through August. I dug around one plant before it started pouring and did find one potato - but had to give it up due to rain. I hope I find the same thing when I dig tomorrow. This is my first year with Yukon golds, maybe they are just a bit different and die off earlier?

Reply to
nora

I have had years where the potatoes never flowered at all. Didn't affect the crop any. Some cultivars are more prone to flowering then others. The Irish Cobblers were the more reluctant bloomers.

Reply to
FarmerDill