Possibly NOT Kudzu!!!

In another discussion on 30 year old seeds the subject of Kudzu arose.
I *thought* Id seen lots of it; it was pointed out by a hiking friend & I took his word for it.
But looking at the Kudzu web sites, I dont think it was Kudzu at all, the leaf was different.
This is a thorny, wirey vine seen extensively in Virginia & West Virginia at least. Usually under trees, climbing but fairly low & never as dense as those pictures. But the leaves are Saggitate to Hastate/spear shaped, margin I think entire, rather dull almost yellowish green. That does not agree with the pictures of Kudzu! Never seen a flower on it.
So what was it?? Maybe it is a native!
Harvey
This sounds more like green briar vine. The tips in the spring are good in salads!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

writes:

That sounds like Greenbrier or Smilax. Probably S. rotundifolia. The flowers are very small, in umbels, greenish colored. Berries are dark blue-black. In California we have S californica. It's in the Lily Family.
Emilie NorCal