Polyanthus repeat blooms in late summer?

Hi

Last Autumn I planted plug plants of polyanthus in a south facing, sheltered and partially shaded bed in front of the house (Leeds, UK). Rather than dig them up to replace with Summer bedding, I incorporated a number of large pots into the scheme and planted pansies for the Winter / Spring, replacing with Summer bedding at the appropriate time.

It worked brilliantly - we had a gorgeous spring display and the lush green groundcover of the polyanthus leaves provided a great background for the lobelia. petunia and gazania I put in the pots for Summer.

However, the polyanthus have now started flowering again in August! It all looks very nice, but I'm worried that this will "wear them out" and we'll have no flowers next Spring. Is this likely? or will the polyanthus continue to flower until the weather turns cold and then rest until Spring?

I've searched the internet for other reports of this phenomenon, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers

Steve

Reply to