Please identify this palm tree

This was taken in early November, in Houston, TX. The tree is about 30ish feet tall and had many of the small dates on it. The photos were beautiful in Paint Shop Pro, but Explorer killed them.
http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/newgarden /
I think it's a Canary Island date palm. I did collect seeds as the photo's indicate. Are they easy to germinate and how fast does this tree grow?
Thanks, V
Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches a year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years. Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm drying the seeds now and plan to plant them in the spring, sometime in early March.
Victoria

Hey Vi,
Is your yard big enough?
tj

Probably not! Actually we have half acre. I'm anticipating the old growth mesquite out back will probably not survive much longer. It is in the direct way of all the westerly winds. Half of it was ripped out the last major winds we had and it doesn't look all that great.
Either way, I do have a spot out front. I can see this tree needs a footprint of approximately 4 feet in diameter, when mature. I think I can provide that.
opined:

Interesting comments on mesquite, the misused 20-30' shrub. All these SW yahoos trying to tie them up qand make single trunk trees.
I'd say a P. canariensis needs at LEAST a 400 sq ft area to thrive. When confined the r1 roots dominate and culture becomes qa prblem. Sounds like a half acre will have some room. Tjey really are beatiful trees when properly pruned and cultured.