PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Page 1 of 2
Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people know what it really is or why.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com

Nice hops, and love your telescope as well...nice place you got there.
Gerard
On 9/19/06 8:28 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@schmidling.com"

have yet to buy a vine or two.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Well do it and you can give me the cones to make beer.. I like Cascade, Perle, and Tetnanger.
Also, I thought hops were used as preservative in beer.
--
Dan

Dan Logcher wrote:

--
-- Andy McKellar
Dallas, TX

In article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net says...

This is very interesting. Does anyone know if hops will grow in a container as a perennial in Zone 5? I'd love to introduce this into my vines but it would have to compete with morning glories, moon flowers, and hyacinth beans.
says...

Dunno where Zone 5 is but from what I read hops grow anywhere in the continental U.S.A. As far as using a container, I've seen a picture of a guy growing them on his condo porch in decent size pots. I duno how big they ended up getting or if they produced any cones, but they looked pretty decent size.
Gerard
Great hop pictures! I worked as office manager for a hop farm here in Idaho for about 15 years so I'm well aware of what hops are. :-) Even learned to like the pungent smell of hops when they were harvested. NEVER learned to like the smell of hop trash (what's left after the cones are shaken off the vines). In the winter, you did NOT want to follow a truck that was hauling the hop trash out to spread on the fields.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

I guess rotten potatoes and rotten fermented hop vines are probably pretty much equal in the stink category!
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Where in Idaho are the hops grown? I live in Eastern Washington, might be an interesting trip.
Bill

Two areas in Idaho - northern Idaho - almost to the Canadian border and the area around Caldwell, Parma, & Wilder, Idaho (southwest Idaho where I live). Not nearly as many hops being grown around here any more. The farm I worked for got completely out of the hop business a year after I retired and others have cut back on their acreage. Hops are terribly expensive to grow with lots of hand labor required and not as much money in them as there used to be.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Is that the reason hops completely disappeared from CA?
nb ....3 summers on a Sacramento hops farm
Not sure. When I first started working for the hop farm (1983) I think hop growing in California had already disappeared. If not then, soon after.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Isn't the internet great? Film of early hops farming around Sacrament:
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/films_hopfarm.html #
nb
Thanks for the link!
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 03:55:04 -0500, notbob wrote:

Not completely. Take a look at this link...
http://www.saccounty.net/agcomm/crop-livestock-report/docs/CropRpt03.pdf#search=%22SloughHouse%20California%20hops%22
I haven't been to sloughhouse for a while, but last time I was there, the ranch looked alive and well.
Rick Knight

I saw that, but thanks. Turns out that Signorotti guy has hops farms in states other than CA, too. I didn't work for him and didn't work in Sloughhouse, but worked on a farm out on Sloughhouse Rd near there. I was by there about a year ago. It was all ranchettes and horse farms and riding academies.
Hops used to be heavy business in CA. All that housing developement between Hwy 50 and the American River near Watt Ave used to be hopyards, too. I now live a hundred miles away, in the greater SFBA, and there's still remnants of that era. In the next town over is a major thoroughfare, Hopyard Rd.
nb
Donna in Idaho wrote:

Tell me more about that "shaken". We tediously pick them and it aint fun.
js