PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Asparagus

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.
What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this series.
js
magnanimously proffered:

What beautiful soil you appear to have. Are you near a river?
PS - My wife and I have been staying in the Vale of Evesham in Britain's Midlands at the start and during the asparagus season, bought it freshly picked from the farm and had asparagus every night. I could never have enough. Next season (we're in the middle of Autumn where we live), I'll try it in an omlette.
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Nice looking asparagus and great looking omelet!
Jill
"jmcquown" wrote:

I imagine all yoose gals enjoy watching those asparaguys grow. lol
Sheldon

Good show, Jack. There's a farmer not nearby who grows a purple asparagus. They are very tender and worthwhile to cultivate. My sparrowgrass is still babies. I also did not like the stuff frozen. We did not blanch however and that may have tainted the batch. Edrena
Edrena
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Huh. I've never thought of doing a fermented pickle with it.
B/
Snip post on Aspargus.
Forget the asparagus, I'm very, very impressed with your spinning and weaving in the Fibre Crafts section of your site. Now that is talent!
I also spin (but use wheels) and have just begun to weave. Lovely site.

Jack Schmidling wrote:

With an asparagus patch that big and apparently that successful, have you ever thought of growing some part of your crop as white asparagus? Apparently it's quite simple: you merely cover the spears so light doesn't reach them. In Germany, where white asparagus is about the only kind eaten, they do it by mounding mulch over spears. This site, http://www.doityourself.com/stry/whiteasparagus , by a guy in Virginia, talks about putting a box over the spears. I've heard of a combination of mulch and some kind of basket (over the mulch) as well.