"Pets Poisoned By Common Plant"

Article about Sago Palms particularly but has looooong list at the end of plants poisonous to pets
http://www.click2houston.com/family/4176160/detail.html
With that list, it is amazing I can keep any cats alive...
John in Houston, where Sago Palms are everywhere
Tex John wrote:

It's pretty much a useless list. The mix deadly poisionous plants and mildy toxic ones and plantsthatsomeonereadonanotherlistsomewhere, with little information about how toxic they are.
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

I rely on "Plants Toxic to Animals" by the University of Illinois at <URL:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/toxic.htm . Some (but not all) listed plants have details about which parts are poisonous and symptoms of poisoning.
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/

All my dogs are taught to simply *not eat plants*. Any, none, nada on the plants. Course they are most often supervised and not left alone outdoors for extended amounts of time.
And to beat that they aren't allowed to walk on mulch either- keeps 'em out of the plant beds. As my favorite bumper sticker reads- "Don't complain... train!"
--
Toni
SoFla zone 10

yah, but it's amazing how many people look at the greeny hairball & deduce that the plant *must have been poison* to make Fluffy puke :p the indoor cats get rye greens. the outdoor cats eat whatever they want. cats need grass to clear up hairballs & all cats get them. odd that no matter how much catnip, fresh or dried, they eat it still doesn't make them puke though. lee
You saying cats don't party till they puke?
They will get down with their buddies late at night when their owners are asleep, at least the outdoor sorts do it on the sly. You're not supposed to know about that but they do get especially rowdy when the females are in heat.

FILM AT ELEVEN!
This is old news, cowboy.
Most cats are smart enough not to eat toxic plants.
Dumb dogs will usually swallow anything before checking it out.

Thanks for the reference to the University of Illinois toxic plants database. It looks like an excellent reference, both for veterinary medicine and for our own back yards. Although these plants are not necessarily "weeds", I intend to add this reference to my list of weeds resources on the World of Weeds at www.ergonica.com.
Ray
__________________________________ Talk about Weeds: www.ergonica.com