Passion flower and Gulf Fritillary

I am in South Louisiana, in the area affected by both hurricanes. I have a large passion flower vine. Usually, the butterflies settle here, lay eggs and their caterpillars eat the vine down to a stubby mess. This year, I'm afraid the storms have interfered with the normal migration of the butterflies. They got blown off course. Should I trim back the passion flower vine for the winter? Or just let take it's own course? Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I have lots of passion flowers on my fences and I never trim them back. They are growing just fine! Did not notice a decline in fritelary butterfly caterpillars. But interesting enough, they usually stayed on the wild passion flowers that grow naturally here.

Reply to
glenon

I lost a couple vines that were eaten back to the ground by the butterflies a few years back. For that reason I wouldn't cut them back, but let them continue to store energy in the roots until frost.

I hope your butterflies return next year. They were most plentiful here in Middle Georgia this year. My vines were pretty well stripped of leaves. I saw several variegated fritillary larvae as well as loads of gulf fritillary and one cat that looked like he must be related to them, but with plain golden brown color and similar spikes and as yet is unknown to me.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

glenon I have lots of passion flowers on my fences and I never trim the

back. They are growing just fine! Did not notice a decline in fritelar butterfly caterpillars. But interesting enough, they usually stayed on the wild passion flowers that grow naturally here.

-- gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

i agree with glenon i would just leave your vine unless its in rea need of pruning back. heres a link that might help u some.

luck, sockiecat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat