Overseeding?

In another thread "overseeding" was noted as if it were standard maintenance practice.

My experience is limited to Ohio and I am sure there are differences in different areas, but is this standard practice? From personal experience I have never seen this useful except for specific problems.

Why would a healthy lawn require or benefit from overseeding?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

For older lawns (like mine) it's been crucial as it's slowy replacing the weeds, and even the coarse, wide-bladed fescue with finer grass. I'm sure there will be a time when I skip years, but thus far I've done it every fall.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Many grasses will eventually thin out and when that happens you'll see more weeds and less drought resistance the follwoing year.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you have Chinch bugs then you either use tons of pesticide or you overseed every year just to try and keep up with the voracious insects. The northern chinch bugs tend to fly from one area to another quite readily unlike the more "stay in one place" ones in southern climes, so pesticides won't get rid of chinch bugs in the north anyways. Newer types of lawn grass seed with endophytes can be used to overseed infested areas and have proved to be very chinch bug resistant. You have to overseed every year though...

BT

Reply to
BT

Never had a problem. Just how far north do you need to be. I am in mid Ohio and while a few people have reported them around here, they have not bothered me and it has been years since I have used any pesticide on my lawn

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't know the cut off point of latitude where the different types of chinch bugs exist. But the northern variety does fly so if you are near an infestation, you will eventually get them. We just happen to be in an area where they are a big problem for everyone. Yet just two hours drive east of here, nobody has any problems with them.

BT

Reply to
BT