ot Ping Farml

From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2010. http://scout.wisc.edu /
13. Australian War Memorial: Of Love and War http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/loveandwar /
The Australian War Memorial's online version of their exhibit Of Love and War illustrates how war impacts the availability of potential partners (especially from other countries), courtship, the sense of romantic urgency that war creates, and marriage. A reader's comment on the blog "Wedding Dresses, Part 3" sums up well what this exhibition is about in his comment regarding the display of wedding gowns in the exhibit: "Not the sort of item you usually associate with war, but on reflection at that time many sweethearts got married before the men went off to war and it helps paint a balanced picture of the times." Visitors should explore the themes the exhibit, which are divided up into: "First Glance", "Separation" and "The Future". Each theme has a multitude of sub-themes, including "Romance and Recruitment", "Loneliness" "Farewell and Fears" and "We Regret to Inform You". Visitors shouldn't miss the "Letters" sub-theme under "Separation", as there are several delicately embroidered silk greeting cards that were made in France in World War I. [KMG]
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav

Thank you Bill who putters. The AWM is a wonderful place and has always had wonderful exhibitions. I haven't seen that one but have read reviews on it. I spent a considerable amount of time there reading Unit war diaries from WWI.