OT...Got Garden? Daily Food Crisis in the News

Omelet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

you're making sense. you know that's not allowed! anyone know which version of the assine Farm Bill passed on Friday (or didn't it)? lee

Reply to
enigma

Just found this one. It looks interesting and useful, though I haven't nosed about much yet. Looks like some good how-to things and planners.

Charlie

Nothing yet but they say they are close. For reports Google "farm bill, 2008".

bill prunes credits for ethanol

By PHILIP BRASHER ? REGISTER WASHINGTON BUREAU ? April 26, 2008

Washington, D.C. ? Congressional negotiators reached agreement Friday on a new farm bill that would nick crop subsidies and reduce the tax credit that underpins the ethanol industry.

Some details were still to be worked out over the weekend, including a tightening of income-eligibility limits for farm subsidies.

However, the deal broke an impasse that had delayed final work on the bill for months.

The House and Senate passed competing versions of the bill last fall. Advertisement

However, President Bush threatened to veto any bill that used what he considered tax increases to pay for higher spending. The House and Senate were also at odds with each over funding.

"Everybody took some cuts," said Sen. Tom Harkin, the Iowa Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel declined to comment on the agreement, saying administration officials had not seen the entire package.

The final bill could be put to the vote of a House-Senate conference committee as early as Monday.

Grain and cotton growers successfully fought off a significant cut in the $5 billion in fixed annual payments that they receive. Under the deal, those payments would be reduced by $400 million over a 10-year period.

Iowa farmers and landowners receive about $500 million annually in fixed payments.

The federal tax credit that subsidizes the ethanol industry would be trimmed from 51 cents to 45 cents a gallon to help offset the cost of a package of tax incentives for horse racing, timber and other industries.

A new subsidy, worth as much as $1.01 a gallon, would be created for ethanol made from sources other than corn, including crop residue and wood waste.

Reducing the subsidy for conventional grain-based ethanol would lower the price of corn by less than 3 cents a bushel, said Iowa State University economist Bruce Babcock. Corn prices in Iowa were more than $5.30 a bushel Friday.

Lawmakers agreed to extend a tariff on imported ethanol through 2010. It is scheduled to expire at the end of this year.

Harkin preserved $1.1 billion in funding for the Conservation Security Program, which would expand the program from 16 million to 80 million acres.

The program provides payments to farmers for practices that reduce erosion.

Congressional aides were also still working on final details of an optional new subsidy program that would protect farmers against drops in yields as well as market prices. The program has been a top priority for corn growers in Iowa, who say that rising production costs have raised the financial stakes for a crop failure.

"There's no question we're glad to see that they've finally come to an agreement" on the bill, said Ron Litterer, a Greene farmer who is president of the National Corn Growers Association.

Existing farm programs were scheduled to expire last fall but have been extended several times and are now set to end next Friday.

On Thursday, lawmakers agreed to drop a revenue source that the White House had objected to and instead decided to get money they needed through extending user fees paid by importers. Under federal budget rules, user fees do not count as taxes.

The user fees and some spending cuts were needed to pay for boosting nutrition programs, including food stamps, and creating a disaster relief program sought by farmers in North Dakota, Montana and other drought-prone states.

Reply to
Billy

Not I. Now you are scaring me. :-(

Reply to
Omelet

Gawd, I keep sayin' I want to go to this, but I always find some excuse not to drive the 6 hrs. I can't even make myself drive the four hours to Bakersville to give Oz an ear. Gonna have to take out a loan to drive it before long. ;-)

Sounds like a great time.......sigh.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

It'd have to help the other poster. :-) I can pretty much get anything I need/want in Texas...

Reply to
Omelet

"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant..." ~~ Arlo

Sorry ;-) I'll go back to the garden now!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I see that the article that I was lookin' for isn't on the menu;-) Dang, again.

Reply to
Billy

Here is also something many might find useful:

Omelet

Reply to
Omelet

Thanx, Charlie. My propane powered ISP (26K) precludes my being able to look at videos.

That 1100 fps sounds pretty good, but those raptor pellets put out

11.2 lb/in2 -- kinda low for me.

Of course, I am dealing with a pretty cheap punp-it-up gun. I see that there are some pretty sophisticated ones out there that I can charge from the compressor in the barn and chop down oak trees.

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

than I am used to. Looks like some really sophisticated stuff around that I was unaware of. If I were going that big, I would probably stir up my own black powder and cast my own bullets :-)

cheers

oz, who is almost too old to draw his bow*, but still manages a deer with it on lucky days.

*and no puns from you with dirty minds.
Reply to
MajorOz

It is pretty amazing what air rifles are out there now. :-)

I totally understand! My dad loves his black powder rifle and pistol. I like my Bushmaster Varminter. It's guts are AR-15 so it's easy to care for and it's built for long distance shooting. My current top shot with it on prairie dog os 430 yards. It fires .223 but the muzzle velocity is 3,200 fps.

For deer tho', I'd use the Winchester model 88 .308 lever action.

Bow hunting deer is quite a good skill. I'm not that good with those!

Reply to
Omelet

...realizing I am getting further and further off topic.....but WTH......

I used to think I was a pretty good hunter when I lived in CO,WY,ID,WA,and OR. What I actually was was a good marksman. I found, in the NW coastal rainforest and, later, when I moved to the Ozarks, I had no idea how to HUNT. Took me a while in the woods to figure it out. That is when I started using a bow and a Win 94.

Excellent rifle! Back in the late 50's, when I finally had enough money to buy a rifle, as a leftie, I almost got one, but ended up with a Sav 110L left hand bolt. I often wish I had gotten the 88.

If you can draw a compound of 50 or so pounds, surprisingly little practice will have you hitting a paper plate at 30 yds 3 out of 5.

cheers

oz, who, as a teen, went out frogging with the state champion (long bow) archer. I positioned the boat so he could skewer them on logs. Fantastic!

Reply to
MajorOz

Indeed. ;-) My hand-loading guru talked me into prairie dog hunting the second week in April. I felt like such an evil bitch, but I learned a lot about long distance precision shooting with the BV. My best shot was

430 yards, but most were made at about 300 yards.

I did bring home some wild rabbit meat tho'... so not all was a waste.

There are different modes of hunting. ;-) What you are doing is REAL hunting. Learning to stalk. Well done!

Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday. As hard as it kicks, it's one of my favorite guns. I'm learning to handload for it. .308 is pricey now. As is most ammo. :-(

I took archery in college so I understand the concept. I'd just have to PRACTICE!

Reply to
Omelet