OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

Page 3 of 3
Helen J. Foss wrote:

Holy WOW!
Those of you who don't have hairy four legged beasties to walk really ought to be thanking your lucky stars. So far, the coldest temps I've had to be out and about in has been 8 degrees (-10 with windchill), and the furry beast didn't care one bit.
Suja

My smaller four-legged beastie goes outside for a pee and poo twice a day and then is whining at the door one minute later. I live in the same place that Helen does, but I think my dog would rather go live with Shell in Houston.
My small but fat four legged beastie would probably love the company :) Supposed to get up to 72 F tomorrow
Shell
wrote

Stay warm everyone! I just went to Target and they have started to set up their seasonal section with gardening tools, patio furniture, etc... Spring is in sight. Or so Target thinks. But then I'm here in the banana belt (NC). Are the stores up north teasing you all with garden goodies?
Heidi
Helen J. Foss wrote:

No, they're putting it away and setting up the 2004 Christmas decorations!

well actually last week the Lowes I work at set out the seed trays, compressed Jiffy pellets and a display of seeds from Sutton's and Ferry Morse. I've already succumbed to buying some to try again. Despite that Lavatera is considered an annual in England, it's a perennial here. I also had to try the Agastache Apricot Dprite and will sow the seeds tomorrow so they'll have time to stratify. Along wiht the sowing of white Nigella and the Iceland poppies. The Nigella is named Mrs Jekyll White <g>. I also got some packages of wild gaillardia's. I adore those flowers! Now if only my unusual rolled petaled gaillardia's I happened on two years ago as a leftover seedling in a four inch pot at Lowes and that returned last year and had more flowers that I carefully allowed to dry between flowering before I gently crumbled the seeds back into the pot the original plant was living in. Then I got the new White FLower Farm catalog and what greeted my eyes but my rolled petaled gaillardia they call Fanfare..........so I had it first!! WOW! I sent Victoria my picture and made a picture of the catalog's picture so she could see the photo. I only hope mine returns with more plantlets this year! Looking forward to the Hellebore's now............and the emergance of the Blood Lily tongue. madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy HOller overlooking English Mountain where it was bEOutiful today, Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Arragh, went to Home Depot last week and they had a lonely rack of mostly flower seeds and single packs of cell trays. Lowes had nothing, but outside in the garden area, *everything* was cleared out and the lady who asked me I was looking for anything in particular (you could hear the echo, it was so empty) seemed to be waiting for something (like a big truck load to come in). Weather has been up and down, though ... 70F one week, 40F the next. (Southern VA, prob. a little south of Frogleg).

echo,
hmmmmmmmmm well we got our seed display a couple of weeks ago and set it up last week. Including the seed trays and Jiffy peat pots. Maybe since it's southern Virginia it's later? But I do hope we get more seeds because the ones we have will be picked over by the time the serious seed starters decide to buy their stuff. I gotta remember to ask about more seeds for February........ madgardener

yeah I feel it was kind odd, because I could have sworn Lowes had stuff available at the same time last year. maybe it was the screwy weather messing with my sense of time. But in other news, a barge carrying a huge crane ran into a drawbridge some where around here, such that the drawbridge got stuck open, but not high enough to clear ships and they had to delay a lot of ships. wouldn't be surprised if it caused truck freight to get backed up a little too.
I had thought that since last winter was so cold and we never got a real break from the snow that this year it would be different. So far I have been wrong. How in the world can Long Island have 30 below freezing with the wind factor? It is LONG ISLAND ZONE 7a! Doesn't it know that!!!
Deep breath... let it out slowly.... Sorry, I'm from CA and just got back from seeing my family. My Mother felt inclined to rub it in saying "I'm told you couldn't do without your seasons back there!" (she is a nasty witch some times... I mean that literally. The woman took all my money in "Spite and Malaise"... Given that I shuffled and dealt I know she didn't stack the decks so it had to be witchcraft....
Can you tell that I'm suffering from cabin fever? Last time it was like this I went out and bought a house. I wonder what is on the markets these days....
Is it Spring yet?
DKat

huge
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:52:36 GMT, Salty Thumb

SE Virginia, at the bottom of the peninsula. You in Va Beach? It was 78F here two weeks ago Sunday; 21F ("high") the following Saturday. Right now it's a mild 37F. With rain.
And it's not "a big truck," it's The Big Truck, or a series of The Big Trucks that supply Big Box (and even smaller chain) stores. I get *so* tired of making a special trip for advertised specials and having some (usually) helpful and sympathetic clerk tell me "it didn't come in on the Big Truck." Or "we ordered it, but the Big Truck didn't bring any."

yeah, I'm in Va Beach, but right next to Norfolk. Pretty crazy weather, huh? One day I thinking, hey I should have started some seeds weeks ago and the next day it snows.
Funny you should mention the Big Truck ... I went to the Janaf OfficeMax today to get the spindle of $9.99 DVD-Rs. Was there right when it opened, asked a clerk where to find them and she says "sorry sold out" ... and the store just opened! It wasn't like there were hoards of people walking around with spindles. But then she's say there's a truck coming in tommorrow. <sigh>

that's a cop out response from someone not in the receiving section of the store. Someone just didn't order enough to anticipate the supply and demand factor, or enough wasn't shipped out.
Makes me think of all the poinsettia's we got at our Lowe's and the demand wasn't great enough from what corporate thought we needed for the holiday. On the other end of that, though, another Lowes in west Knoxville had to order 750 MORE plants than what they'd gotten in because the demand exceeded what was anticipated.
LOL, amazing to think how much we all depend on for daily conveniences from the trucking industry and people sitting around a table deciding how much of what we need........life just ain't simple, is it? <g>
and speaking of Baby it's cold outside..........tonight, coupled with the moisture we have from the fogs and rains before the cold front, the temperatures are going to the teens with wind chills of sub-zero. If ever I needed to have mulched that Mexican sage I bought from Reba, it would have been tonight, if I had any mulch or leaves to do so with. I only hope that it being in a raised bed and on the south side of the house helps any.................. madgardener glad for the warm waterbed, two dawgs and three of the six cats who snuggle with me while Squire is gone.....................

I'm not so sure. I mean, I'm sure "enough wasn't shipped out," but not that a local store's personnel are responsible. Salty's experience is similar to mine and others'. Corporate ads are inserted into local papers, but local stores have neither input nor any way of controlling supply. Poor sods. *They* have to deal with disappointed and angry customers. And write up 'rain checks' for stuff that's *never* going to show up. Power without responsibility is usually unpleasant; responsibility without power is humiliating.

Interesting, it was +42C here the other day. We lay about drinking cold water and periodically getting in and out of a cold(ish) bath.
David
where you live? death valley? Ingrid

In a (rented) house that was designed by a clown, dark roof with no insulation, in Stroud NSW. As you surmised in Australia.
We had 50mm (2 in) of rain the night before last - yipee! I can go on with tree planting and stop had watering for a while now.
David
ahhh.. just as I suspected, in Australia lolling around in the middle of summer. pffft. Ingrid