Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europes Farmers

Page 1 of 5
Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europes Farmers by Adam Mitchell / Rachel Shields
BRUSSELS - The organic revolution is sweeping across Europe, with the area of land dedicated to environmentally-friendly, pesticide-free food production more than doubling in the last decade.
Organic farming now accounts for more than 4 per cent of agricultural land in the EU, more than double its 1998 share, according to a new report from its official statistics agency, Eurostat. 0614 07
And organic land is likely to make greater inroads, as the consumer appetite shows no sign of slowing.
Organic almost certainly will continue to grow and we think its a good thing, Michael Mann, an EU agriculture spokesman said.
The growth is partly being driven by Europes farmers, who are being undercut by produce imported from countries such as Brazil. For many farmers, organic foods are becoming a key way to reinvent their failing farms.
Farmers are coming under growing pressure from low-cost producers abroad, Mr Mann said. They have to be smart and think of increasing profit margins and organic is one way of doing that.
Conscious of this ballooning market, agriculture ministers from the 27 member states agreed this week on a compulsory logo, to be introduced from 2009, designed to reassure consumers that they are getting the genuine article.
The logo guarantees that at least 95 per cent of ingredients are completely free of chemicals - and imports will be subject to the same rule. But it also permits up to 0.9 per cent from genetically-modified organisms, a level that has angered green campaigners.
It is a total cop-out by the European Union - setting a level of 0.9 per cent could result in the creeping GM contamination of organic food, said Ben Ayliffe, of Greenpeace. It should be 0.1 per cent.
Go into any supermarket and they are bursting with organic food, while GM foods are conspicuous by their absence. Thats because consumers dont want them! he added.
In recent years, European consumers have shown themselves willing to pay more for organic produce, reflecting an aversion to chemicals and a growing preference for natural farming techniques over the high-intensity production that has been blamed for crises such as BSE and foot-and-mouth disease.
Recognising this fact, Brussels will now provide higher levels of subsidy for organic farming, than that given to non organic fruit and vegetables.
The UK has been a leader in organic farming. In 2005, more than 600,000 hectares of the countrys farmland were cultivated organically, putting it ahead of France, a country more than twice its size. Yet only 3.8 per cent of UK farmland was devoted to organic production, compared with 11 per cent in Austria. The Alpine nation has a reputation as a strong opponent of intensive and biotech farming, recently refusing to follow an EU ruling allowing a type of genetically-modified maize made by Monsanto.
While the Eurostat report primarily compared the 15 nations that joined the EU before 2004, it also pointed out that some of the biggest organic farms now are to be found in newcomers Slovakia and Czech Republic.
2007 Independent News and Media Limited

First of all I wish you would adjust your line length in order that your posts were more readable. Secondly, I wish you would stop your damned topposting. Your posts are a mess to read.

This last line shows how full of shit you are sherwin. Actually the whole post is shit, your denigration and deprecation of organic farming and your outright lying about profit motive.
By the way, I put this back in rec.gardens, which you trimmed, where it originated, and where folks are a little more willing to call you on your shill ways.

Uh, by and large, I agree with you Charlie but in truth between the Government and the industrial agri-business complex there is a whole lotta hanky-panky goin' on. You want organic? Go to your local farmers market. Look 'em in the eye and ask what they are selling. Foor god's sake don't go to Whole Foods and think you are getting the real deal. Whole foods has a zillion stores to fill and they like one stop industrial shopping. If the producer can produce an organic label, that is all that they want to see, even if it is still a factory. The food on your plate doesn't have to travel 1,500 miles to get there.
Think Global. Eat Local.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

food
failing
27
same
genetically-modified
while
600,000
putting
made
joined
Personally I am not that hung up on the concept of 'organic'. The term is often used fast and loosely to envoke all things good. I am happy to buy locally, and somewhat seasonally. That things are organic or not is a subset of that thinking. Just because a banana grown 5,000 miles away is organic or not doesn't make a huge bearing on whether or not I buy the banana. Some mandarins grown organically 20 or 50 kms away may, or some moderate spray mandarins grown 20 or 50 km away may prevail in my shopping hierarchy.
That said, coffee or chocolate (or whatever) grown where fair prices are paid to the producers will sometimes be a condition on my purchases. Often such 'fair trade' growing are also organicly grown anyway. Buying things locally keep a lot of money in local circulation, buying fiar trade puts more money in the pockets of farmers who are sometimes at the bottom of the heap.
Organic products, grown on slavery wages and shipped 1/2 way round the world to me rate little higher than chemical enhanced products, grown on slave wages & shipped 1/2 way round the world to me.
Local goods, with reasonable money going to the producer, do rate quite highly in my book. If they are organic & the grower uses practises that enhance the soil then that is great. If they are not organic they are still acceptable.
rob

I'm pretty much with you Rob. Sustainability is another concept that I think is important; not relying on petrochemical insecticides and fertilizers. See Senior moment post for yesterday and the excerpts from Michael Pollan's book "Omnivor'e Dilemma".
- Billy

I agree, and your points about the fair trade issue are very important, and not dealt with here often.
My harping about organic is an ideal and some pot banging. I realize that a some of what I eat now is not, but the goal and the intent is to keep going that way as much as possible *and* factor in the other things as well.
Same reason, I will not spend one dime at the walmart any longer. You have to start somewhere and the more you do and learn the more natural it becomes.
Take Care, Rob Charlie

Not shop at Wally World? You must have seen the article: ---------- http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/More-Deception-by-Wal-Mart-With-Or ganic-Foods-15099.aspx
More Organic Food Deception by Wal-Mart POSTED BY Dr. Mercola May 09, 2007 Wisconsin consumer fraud investigators have released the findings of a three-month investigation into Wal-Mart's alleged practice of misidentifying conventional food items as organic.
The investigation, run by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, found many instances of conventional food products improperly labeled as organic, in violation of Wisconsin state statutes.
Wisconsin regulators sent only a formal warning to the retail giant, and said that they had reached an agreement with the company under which steps would be taken to prevent future misrepresentations. Wisconsin officials said that they would continue their surveillance of Wal-Mart stores.
The Cornucopia Institute, an organization dedicated to preserving organic standards, has a photo gallery on its Web page showing conventional food products that were priced and labeled as organic foods in Wal-Mart stores.
Yahoo News May 8, 2007 ---------
Now that is cutting the overhead.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Choir, buddy, choir.

Money talks, and bullshit walks.
Eff walmart.

Cornucopia...good org.

Oh crikey.....You're now quoting from Quacky Joe's site?
Heh heh......I read often. Good info.
Say.....where you at on chiropractic? I'm already there and have some good results.
Charlie

Whaat? Ol' Quackey Joe's been rippin' off me material? Oh, lord love a duck.

Sorry, I'm beyond the witch doctor. It's called yo-ga. At's cause I'm cheap. Got me mate? Cheap. Where's it at Charlie boy? We'll 'ave you up and plowin' the north forty, quicker than youkinsay,"Bob's your uncle".
Now where's that Eskimo lady you want me to wrestle?
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (at least every other tuesday)

Billy, Billy, Billy........you're living the the land of alternatives and newage.......have a little faith in the alternatives, brother.
Charlie

What? Pay some guy/gal who thinks that s/he can cure anything with a spinal alignment when a little rolling around on the ground will do the same thing? I have to admit that participatory medicine isn't my first choice. I'm much more into spectator health and rather have something done to me, preferably a pill. But there is no denying that if you take up yoga, you can kiss your chiropractor good-bye (If you have that kind of relationship, that is. I hope she's cute.). And that's the truth, ppplllt.
- Billy
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (morgen)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....and she is a he, pretty cute though.
Tell ya what (those of a sensitve nature, EXIT NOW!)...the chicken bone-shaker saved me manberry. The pill pushers gave up on pushin' pills and wanted to start surgin', on account of the pain, and minor torsion.
Mister Bone Man made some smoke shook de bones and worked some good juju, and things are feelin' right again, after several decades of not feelin' right. Legs are the same length as well.
Now, perhaps I can think about yoga. See ya on the morrow.
Charlie, which in some translations comes off as "manly"
On Jun 17, 1:46 am, Charlie wrote:

Some chiropractors are good and some are quacks. Just like with regular doctors, some are good and some are quacks there too. Not all chiropractors are licensed MD, if you find one with REAL credentials, then they are usually pretty good. Sounds like Charlie found a "good" one. hehe

Tis true in all professions. The first massage I had was from a real pro. She dropped my voice a full octave, I was so relaxed. Never found another masseuse or masseur who could match. If you would just call a chiropractor, a physical therapist, I'd have no problem but chiropracticy (sp?) carries a lot of philosophical baggage.
What you use for tea? - Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Water, sugar, decaff tea bags ....................................why? what did i miss?? oh yeah, have any good remedies for this migraine headache called "in-laws"??!!
Rae

Oh you didn't miss anything, I was just wondering if you might make tisanes out of local herbs. You seem to be a thrifty lass, and I admire thrift.
Yeah, never changes, does it? House guests and fish. Didn't realize you had so much privacy, until it's gone. Same with little toes. Wouldn't know they were there, until you whack one. Then it's all you can think about.
Haven't seen Charlie have you? Ask him if his back hurts, OK? And if anybody starts asking about your core muscles, just back away slowly. Think I hear the blender. Must be the happy hour. Later.
--
Billy

I might be thrifty - but I ain't that smart. I wouldn't know what to get in that department. Maybe you (or someone else on here) could teach me. Always ready to learn something new.

It ain't the house guests that are bugging me.......all I have had here are the kids - they are fine, we get a long great. Its the adults that can't keep their noses out of my business (suddenly this little country gal has turned into "trailer trash" because I don't wear make-up, don't take 2 hours to get my hair perfect, I stay at home "on my fat lazy butt" {by the way, the S-I-L that said that is the same size I am and she didn't just have a baby! just you wait, I will be back in my size 8/10 in no time now!} instead of going back into the work force and helping with the household income. Now does that sound like the definition of trailer trash to you??) I think my S-I-Ls just don't like me cause I'm younger than them and can get along with the younger generation as well as the older generation. They don't mind using me as a baby-sitter and chauffeur though.

Nope, not yet, and after my big inlaw rant, I might have scared him off...........haha I don't drink "happy hour" stuff, but have one for me will ya??

It seems some people aren't happy unless they can put other people in a hole. If your miserable, then they can be happy. Don't know about your S-I-Ls but it sounds like they may be taking advantage of the situation to get away from their responsibilities and kick up their heels a bit. Younger is intimidating because older is a much more sobering prospect but don't let nobody hang labels on you. Your not a cliche, your a human being with all the depth and complexity that entails. Walking on air and defying gravity and old age is a good trick but we all need to take care of the day to day and don't sweat the bread crumb sins. There's lots of ways up to the mountain top.
At the very least, they say adversity builds character. Sounds like your gonna have a lot of character by the end of the next 2 weeks.
Well coffee is done and the paper is here. I'd better go clear out the cobwebs.
Catch ya later,

--
Billy

*SNIP*
*SNIP AGAIN*

It ain't the name calling that's really bugging me - it's the self- righteous, holier-than-thou attitude. I can't stand people like that. Just cause they work and pay daycare fees and live on top of the world in a world of debt, doesn't mean that my husband and I want to. This day and time, it doesn't really pay for me to work, put the 2 kids in daycare, have to use extra gas money (NC State gas tax is 31.5 cents now i think) to go to work, and all for an extra 50-100 a week afterwards?!? I can budget and come out better than that. Stay at home and know my kids are taught right in a safer environment. I'd rather be broke but in the clear, than rich looking and in the red. We don't live in some big fancy house like they do or drive the finest of vehicles, but we have food, clothes, bills are paid, and a house full of love. in my book, that's all we need. i can't help it if their kids would rather be at my house than in their turmoil filled homes.

let's pray and hope so!

Right back attacha!
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:51:39 -0700, raeannsimpson

Girl, you have your head screwed on right, and I am assuming your husband is right there with ya'. I'm pleased that life, and "they", apparently haven't filled your head clear full of sand.
Your momma and grandparents should be proud.
Daycare? Feh..... Don't ever leave your children in the care of paid strangers. I feel you never would.
This next baby, and the next, coming into our family will never experience the horrors of daycare abandonment as long as we have life within us. When the girls return to work, teaching and nursing, we will be caring for the first one during the days, along with our oldest son, who will be caring for both of his. Everyone benefits, from the children, to those we support, everyone. And yes, in answer to a question from you long ago, the people we care for love children and having them around. It is really pretty cool to see our grandson hanging on the arm of a wheelchair, carrying on a converstion, about Lord only knows what four-year-olds carry on about.
Thankfully, we are in a position that we are able to do this.
Choices must be made, as you know. Unfortunately, so many make choices, who are in the situations you describe, that hurt their children.
Your attitude, disposition and sacrifice restore a bit of my faith in young people and the world in general.
Carry on!
Care Charlie, the pink and green garden....g'nome.