opinions on ornamental trees

hey all,
we've got some space on our property that we can plant about 10-15 trees. we're looking for a smaller tree (around 20ft) that has nice bark, spring flowers, and nice fall foliage. looking for something that, when matured, one could put down a path that meanders through it. we are in the dc metro area (zone 7). the area will receive full sun.
thanks!
here are some we're considering:
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=8
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=6
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id 6
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id 3
appreciate any comments on them.
thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

(a) In the Washington DC metro area, you are legally required to plant Yoshino cherries, azaleas, and crape myrtles. You need a special permit for anything else.
Just kidding! But seriously, be forewarned that if you are planning on ordering your actual trees from the Arbor Day Foundation, you will get microscopic bareroot twigs that take a long, LONG time to reach anything resembling a decent size, if they survive, which is a big crapshoot. They have a horrible reputation.
funny! we have all three in our yard (yoshino's arrived this summer, the other 2 were there already.). i think an up and comer is the "paper bark birch".
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't overlook crape myrtle ( = crepe myrtle), which meets all your criteria except spring flowering; HOWEVER, it blooms abundantly for months in summer and has gorgeous bark. For example, 'Natchez' has white flowers and grows rapidly to about 25 ft x 25 ft.
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/shrubsbushes/p/crape_myrtles.htm
Mike On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
yes, we have some in our yard already. looking for something different. the "Hawthorn, Washington" are interesting with the red berries during the winter.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you're not averse to large shrubs, some of which can be pruned to small tree form, the viburnums bloom in the spring or early summer. These are generally vigorous plants once established.
V. bracteatum 'Emerald Lustre', V. plicatum tomentosum 'Shasta', V. prunifolium, V. rufidulum, V. carlcephalum, V. opulus, V. sieboldii, and V. dilatatum come to mind as attractive specimens. Some provide fall color, some are fragrant, and most attract birds through their fruit.
Mike On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

This is one of my favorites: http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code 40 I love the fruit and it is not messy like a mulberry. Birds love them. Pretty flowers in the spring and nice color in the fall.
LAH wrote:

I agree that serviceberry is a lovely small tree, a harbinger of spring when in flower.
Mike On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

they behave in your locality. There's also an orange-barked variety of the European Sorbus aucuparia, but this may not do well for autumn colour.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Try Mack's cherry: Prunus Mackii. It is an attractive flaky brown barked tree with flowers in the spring.