One or two plants per hole? (tomatoes, peppers, etc.)

I've heard that you can maximize yields by growing two plants in the same hole instead of one. I have a lot of tomatoes and peppers where there are two side by side, and they seem to grow fine...so far. Is this true, or should I go and thin them so that there is just one of each in each hole? Any practical advice?
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

One plant per hole. If you heard the "two per hole" idea from a person with whom you come into contact often, and need to be polite, just nod & smile when he/she tells you things. And, pass along this tidbit to that person: A duck's quack is one of a very small group of sounds which cannot produce an echo.
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

One plant with all the water, sun, and nutrients in its root system grows better than two plants sharing root space, water, nutrients, and sun space.
"Two plants are worser than one." (...I had to say it... )

Ack. <sigh>. I guess I need to thin my plants out. I have two beautiful tomatoes side by side. Not to mention a bunch of tomatoes and peppers growing in pairs. Are there any known exceptions to this?
actually, there are exceptions. it is when space is limited and the maximum numbers of different varieties want to be grown. like for example two or three different varieties of peaches are wanted plant the 2 or 3 different trees in the same hole. each tree will produce less of course. the added benefit is that it will also help dwarf the trees. if you are going to remove a plant, cut it off, dont pull it and disturb the roots. you may also want to experiment by leaving some as doubles, some as individuals and report back results. Ingrid
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote:

"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

Lots of absolutes in gardening have exceptions. One way to discover them is by experimentation. Leave your plants as they are and see what happens. Naturally, you'll understand that unless you also grow identical varieties the "regular" way (one per hole), it won't be a truly scientific evaluation, but if the results are good enough for you, that's all that's important.