Oh Sweet Annie!

Planted this last year and it DID go to seed... this year it is STILL coming up and I haven't let any go to seed.. why is this?

Space aliens snuck in at night and planted them.
A lot of seed remains viable in or on the ground until proper conditions exist to cause germination, many seeds have methods of ensuring the seeds don't all come up at once, including years later.
Did you remove every seed from last year? If so, how?:)
Hopefully continuing to remove the small plants will rid me of this menice...