OFF Topic Ping Music lovers

be of interest to Billy, Charlie and other folks.

Bill

ps Videos too!

Betamax Doctrine Wed, 23 Jan 2008

Earlier today, two things happened. First, I wrote about our support of the EFF, noting that none of our products were created to facilitate theft. We'll get back to that in a minute, but it was a timely post.

Second, CBS-owned music site Last.fm opened up streaming from their site.

Where previously they'd provided 30-second previews of songs (a la iTunes), they're now providing on-demand access to full-length tracks and albums. This is a very cool thing, as it makes music more accessible. Various individual artists in the past have streamed their new album or a single right from their site, with the idea that you'd take a listen or two and hopefully buy the album. Last.fm is looking to shake that model up and monetize the streaming itself via ads as well as sales of both individual songs and subscriptions. In fact, each play results in a royalty payment to the artist, which is great.

Reply to
Bill