North Facing Front Door Shrubs?

Hi there!
I'm looking to plant a shrub/bush/small tree either side of our (north facing) front door. I'd prefer evergreen, and something with flowers/variegated leaves/fragrance so it keeps year round interest and doesn't look too depressing in the winter time! I was thinking of something that won't grow too fast or try and spread too wide - perhaps a Camellia or a dwarf Rhododendron...
And I was wondering if anyone else had any advice or experience? Many thanks in advance!
--
dryranger

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 15:54:22 +0200, dryranger wrote:
As I do not know where you live, look for shrubs with the darkest leaves. The darker the leaves, the less light they need to survive and thrive.
On 7/10/2015 5:03 AM, terl wrote:

When I think of plants to go next to a north facing door, I would want something that can survive killer -9 degrees C frost in June and can survive in a desert when the +40 degrees C heat of late January arrives.
I'm only in Lancashire! About 500ft above sea leel albeit.
--
dryranger

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:22:20 +0200, dryranger

Your best bet is to talk to a local nursery that will have stock for your climate. You might also try a local garden club or society for advice.
dryranger wrote:

Without seeing a photo of the space you have allocated for planting it's near impossible to suggest a particular plant, but if your space is small there are many dwarf evergreen shrubs/trees... often a rock garden of small conifers is suitable and low maintenence.
On 7/10/2015 10:22 PM, dryranger wrote:

The newsgroup uk.rec.gardening is probably the best place for you to ask your question. Most of the posters to this group are from outside the UK. In fact I can't think of any regular poster here who is lives in the UK.
Fran Farmer;1016430 Wrote: > On 7/10/2015 10:22 PM, dryranger wrote:-

:o Oh! I wasn't expecting that as the website address is .co.uk! Oh well :P Thanks for your time!
--
dryranger

On 10/8/2015 12:21 AM, dryranger wrote:

You are accessing a worldwide usenet newsgroup via a UK web portal, hence your confusion.
On 2015-10-08 11:59:16 +0000, Moe DeLoughan said:

It's remarkable that someone from gardenbanter even replied. Usually they just take our advice and run.
On 08/10/15 01:28, Fran Farmer wrote:

More-or-less right, although even uk.rec.gardening has been pretty quiet recently! There are one or two UK posters here - I find it quite interesting to see the problems others have in parts of the world with different climates. I don't remember any other posters from outside the US, though, and most of those seem to be from the SW or NE states. Anyone ever seen a query posted from Alaska?
--

Jeff