New hybrids

Interesting slide show from Slate Magazine. Author inveighs against hybrids gone wild. What do NG members think?
http://www.slate.com/id/2218661/slideshow/2218964/fs/0//entry/2218965 /

I don't give a fiddler's fuck about your stoopid hijacked slide show... show me something YOU did... you total waste of protoplasm!
On 5/26/2009 6:37 PM, Amateur wrote:

The text at Slate -- while somewhat negative -- does not seem so diparaging as you indicated.
Hybrids can and do occur in nature whenever a flower of one variety is pollinated by a flower of a different variety. Occasionally, it even happens between flowers of different but closely related species.
The comment at Slate about 'Knockout' roses having no scent applies to many modern roses. Growers developing new varieties focus on flower color, resistance to fungus (mildew, rust, and black spot), suitability for most climates, and vigor of the plant. Aroma is usually at the bottom of the priority list.
I'm not sure about the comment at Slate about azaleas. I have an 'Inga' (a Belgian Indica) that blooms on and off from spring to fall and sometimes even in the winter. This is not a new variety.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean