NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

Page 2 of 4

I did just that - using Wagner to fend off some particularly repellant (c)rap music from the neighbour. They got the message pretty quickly.
A friend had an even better solution. He called his mother, who called the mother of the 30 somethings next door, who called her children (well that's what they were acting like) and told them to cool it.
"starlord inreach.com>" <starlord<*> wrote in message

better yet... get your shotgun and/or rifle take it outdoors when they are and clean it right in front of them. most people dominate by intimidation. you need to give them something to think about. be sure to get some tape on just how obnoxious this is...and keep records of how often and long it happens. Ingrid
Rich,
I have the same problem. One thing that helped was to get a copy of the noise ordinance for my town. The definition of noise was based on a decibel level. I started measuring the neighbors music volume and he was in in violation of the ordinance. With this evidence in hand I was able to get the town to order the volume to be lowered. Unfortunately, it looks like taking the neighbor to court will be an annual affair as the the volume began to creep up again at the end of last summer.
--beeky
Rich wrote:

Take bagpipe lessons and practice outside.
When you get a complaint from nature boy, offer an entente cordiale.....
I had a neighbor who kept 17 dogs. The stench and flies were bad enough to make backyard gardening undesirable. I checked local ordinances and the neighbor was in compliance with all the laws. There was really nothing I could do, but did more indoor gardening until they finally sold and left. I would have traded a boom box at full volume in trade of the stench. Carefully check your ordinances about noise.
you didnt get the right department... department of health is what you needed. it sure wasnt in compliance with them. Ingrid

You have obviously pursued all, or most of the reasonable solutions -- talking both neighbors, police, and the offender. "I have a right to..." is maddening. "Yes, the noise ordinances apply after 10pm, but you *are* bothering a number of people." Living with (next door to) other people often involves compromise. Not laying down and being walked over, but some reasonable accomodation. Is this neighbor outdoors 6 hrs/day? Could he be persuaded to cut off the speakers when he doesn't require musical accompaniament to his gardening? Or gently asked to cut the volume a bit? Many of these controversies become highly confrontational and emotional. You'd be surprised (maybe) at how many people will back down when approached gently. Not "your f'ing noise is driving me nuts" but "could you tune down your stereo a little -- it really bothers me." It bothers me when neighbors have a late night party with music; it bothers me when the guy across the street regularly blow-dried (leaf blower) his car collection (3). I live in suburbia. *I* am not quirky, but everyone else is. :-) If I wanted complete silence, I'd move to the country.
Rich wrote:

Invite some of the sheep over to your house for tea. Once they're there, bring up the speaker guy. Let everyone chime in about how they don't like it, and then suggest that you all go over to the guy's house together to let him know it's not just you that's annoyed.
Another thought: If he doesn't live alone, approach someone else who lives in the house.
And one last idea: Put up a six-foot privacy fence entirely on your side of the lot line, and have the side facing him covered with some ugly sound absorbing material. Let him know that the ugly crap facing his house is because he makes too much noise, but you'd be happy to take it down if he stopped making noise.
--
Warren H.

==========

This post has been rated PG-13. Parental guidance is suggested.
As a Man, you always hate go ask somebody else for help or admit to yourself you can't handle a problem the masculine way, viz. go over and knock your neighbor's skull open, or at least shove a dirk in his ribs and break off the handle. However, civilized people supposedly don't act that way, and upon reflection, I guess it wouldn't make me too happy if an crazed neighbor came over wielding a brace of ginsu knives he finally discovered a use for. Cleaning the mess up later would be quite a hassle, as well as needing to go get tested for blood diseases and keeping certain peoples off their doughnut breaks with all the questioning.
So rather than rationalizing your right to action and dropping a couple of bombs on your neighbor just because you can, I suggest you find out exactly what the legal decibel limit is, and be prepared to learn something about sound, as measuring devices may vary in their attentuation of certain frequencies, find out if your neighbor is in violation. If so, you may proceed to the next phase, which may require more gump than you have, certainly more gump than your neighbors and you should be prepared to face the possiblity that you will fail, but also the possibility that you will succeed. You will want to document every violation, and even be prepared to make a nuisance of yourself to the police, who likely will not do anything unless they witness the violation and have suitable measuring devices on hand. You could always ask them to leave a note, though. After nothing happens and you have accumulated enough evidence, you can take your case to the local magistrate and have a court order placed on your neighbor. You may wish to inquire ahead of time what is suitable as evidence. (If they will not, you escalate your case and sue the locality for selective/none enforcement of laws). This will likely piss off your neighbor, but he, being an unreasonable person, isn't someone you want as a friend anyway. However, your other neighbors may appreciate you and sing "hail to the chief" whenever they see you. Your noisy neighbor, having lost his only source of solace in world, will after a time been become deranged and one day march on your house with murderous intent, bearing his wedding gift, a brace of ginsu knives. You may then take that opportunity to gun him down. Later, a bevy of gorgeous young women who enjoy nude sunbathing will move into the vacated premises, which can now be had a bargain price due to the unfortunate circumstances. You live happily ever after.
Good luck
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:15:26 GMT, Salty Thumb

In my town, the laws are such that the police cannot do anything about "disturbing the police" type of violations as the law says the officers have no peace to be disturbed. It is up to those who are being disturbed to be willing to file a complaint.
Now, the city code enforcement folks are a different story. If there are measurable codes being broken, they can an will issue tickets.
So, if you can measure the noise and document it. Get your camcorder out, do a little documentary, Talk about the problem, go out with the meter turn it on, record the reading. Turn on a tape recorder tape it.. talk about it, take a reading.. but the video tape is better, turn on the date/time stamp if it has one. Record something from tv at that point on in the background as you prepare to go out that backs up the date..like cnn or news or something that shows a date/time if you bring up the channel/date/time description as to what the program you're watching is. Anything to establish the time and day other than the date/time on the cam corder as they can say it was doctored.. that and the tv show showing you bringing up the ID from cable or satellite if you have either.. is just another thing. Documentations .. more than one. Calling the weather report recording showing you dial it and hold up the receiver to the mic.. whatever it takes. Establish the date and time, record what you hear inside, outside, record the decibel meter, and do it repeatedly to back up your complaints that it's frequent and illegally loud, and redocument it over time .. 8 a.m. 8:30, 9:00, 10:00 a.m. etc keep showing it's still going on for long periods of time, and happens over days, weeks, not just an exceptional situation.
Documentation, documentation, documentation.. and a willingness to sign a complaint if you don't have city code enforcement that carries more of a punch. If you don't have the laws you want, then approach the city council, mayor's office etc. Just keep in mind, you too can be caught in the web. Make sure YOU are violating no city codes when you call, as there are many rules we all break all the time because they're not enforced. Here it's against city code to have garbage cans out more than 24 hours before and after pickup, and that's ANYWHERE they are visible. Lawnmowers cannot be out unless being used, they have to be in a shed with the garbage cans along with any yard rakes, shovels,etc. Your hoses can't be out if not in use. You can't have anything planted in a row, to act as a screen or barrier more than 1 foot above grade, around your property line you can have plants that form a barrier/fence/hedge no more than 3' tall if solid, 4' tall if there are spaces between them. You cannot plant these plants where the perceived property lines are either, but where the highway district's easement is, which is 5' in from the sidewalk in my neighborhood. Everyone's fences are out further than that here, some have taller hedges, but there were here before the city arrived .
So, find out what the rules are and make sure you're not violating any of them or it can blow back in your face before it's over.
Janice

Actually he does not have the right to play his music so loud it disturbs people, be it an entire neighborhood or just one person, either day or night. You would be perfectly justified to call the police and complain. The police will then visit the guy and tell him to turn it down. You may have to call more than once, as we had to do when our nieghbor across the stret decided to play his radio so loud we could feel the sound vibrations and his son decided he wanted a rap group. We were serenaded all day every day with offensive rap, the anti-police violence glorifying stuff where every other word is a profane one. They were so loud the police had to drive up bumper touching their garage door and blast his siren to be heard. It took several calls as well as several visits asking them to turn the stuff down but they finally did and we have a peacefull neighborhood again. I believe if they get enough complaints they are ticketed and fined and if they still won't comply I believe they end up in court.

I think they're just sheep :)
Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up

I can understand you not wanting to call the police or have an irritated neighbor. The guy we had to call on is a biker and believe me calling the police was a last resort but a neccessary one since the noise was disturbing my mother who is ill and was loud enough to hear and make out the words even with the tv up loud and the house closed up. Another thing you might try is pointing your stereo spekers at the guys house and playing the music of your choice as loud or louder than his every time he's outside. Then when he stops annoying the neighborhood you stop :) Another thought, you could send an annonymous gift of a set of headphones and a small tape player and maybe talk the rest of the people in the area into contributing.

Well like I said, we called the police. Worked for us and was probably the only thing that would have worked.

I'm in southeast Texas and I don't think anything actually quit blooming but the trees can't decide if they should bud or not. And everyone got snow this year except us.
Shell
Rich wrote:

Do likewise. PA horns are cheap, carry well.
Advisable NOT to exceed the idiot's volume level. Best to stay a notch below. Sun Tzu said always maintain the high ground.

Old fart's music. Good choice. So is 1940 - 1970 era C&W. Apparently, shopping center managers have used it effectively to rid their properties of loiterers.
This has been an amusing thread. I also dislike loud music of any kind (I'm a classical pianist by profession). I have a neighbor who apparently is part of a rock band, and on certain days in the summer practices his/her drumset for hours. I have found that a loud enough water-feature will mask most annoying sounds. Do you the space and the right terrain to create a fountain or waterfall? Even though the volume of those is relatively high, most people find the sound of splashing water quite soothing, especially as compared to obnoxious music.

oops, I forgot to ask, is this a pic-free group or are you allowed to post pictures?
rich

People using telephone modems will hunt you down, strap you to a post with your garden tools just out of arm's reach and force you to listen to your neighbor's John Tesh's Greatest hits collection.

oh, actually, since you are on Verizon, the news server won't let you post binary attachment to a non-binary group and will give you an error message. Other ISPs may be less restrictive.
Salty Thumb wrote:

Promises promises promises <BG>
rich
The more I think about it the more inclined I would be to make the speakers disappear.
This has happened to me also. I moved from a town to a quiet country setting on a dirt road that was not used by people. I was hardly there a few years when in moved the construction people and houses popped up every where. Next thing a park was built for children and then the music started. It ruined my perfectly quiet atmosphere. The only solution I could think of besides moving was the nice little foam ear plugs I used to wear when working in a factory. They work great for keeping out noise and I have been thinking about wearing them a lot more lately....like to the supermarket where they decided to play the loud screechy music which is annoying when shopping. I only need to use them sometimes as it is not noisy all the time, mostly on weekend when kids gather with their music.