need help identifying this salad green

hi, photo is located here: http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopicF784
does anybody know what this is? i brought some from a greenmarket vendor, but forgot to jot down the name of it. I thought it would be a bitter salad green that you can use raw, but having tasting the raw leaves, i found it definately bitter, with a slight burning sensation at the back of my throat. cooking it down, it tastes exactly like spinach. however, some ppl have said it looks like red shiso, or opal basil, but both seem unlikely.
is this spinach? if so, what variety is it?
if not spinach, what can it be?
thanks, r

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com [r] wrote...

Looks like an amaranth, Amaranthus sp. Not all have leaf markings like in your photo.
http://agronomy.ucdavis.edu/gepts/pb143/crop/amaranth/amaranth.htm http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a/Amaranthus_spinosus_C.htm http://www.psu.missouri.edu/fishel/palmer_amaranth.htm http://www.tropilab.com/amaranth.html
cheers
Try the purple leaved variety of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum).
On 11 Jul 2004 12:45:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (r) wrote:

that would be my guess also. Mine looks very much like that.
Bob S.