Mystery shrub

I live in an area of nursery growers. They haul huge loads of bushes and trees and occasionally something will fall off the truck for some passerby to claim. Today I was the lucky one and came across a shrub of some sort that has square stems. Anyone know of any shrubs with square stems that grow in a climate like that of the Portland, OR area? If given a few names I can do the research to id this thing... or perhaps there is a key online someone can suggest?

Thanks in advance. Karen

Reply to
Anonny Moose

Square stems are a characteristic of the mint family, Lamiaceae. This is a huge family and includes things like lavender, salvias (sages), rosemary, oregano, coleus, etc. Shrubby members are most likely to be salvia or rosemary or Teucrium (germander).

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Usually plants in the mint family have square stems, though they are usually herbaceous perennials. boxwood is another plant with square stems, but its pretty easily recognized. Burning bush has corky protrusions on the stems that could make it look sort of square... can you post a picture?

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Good idea! Here are links to three pictures of the plant. Note that there is still a lot of dirt on it from transport.

Any ideas?

Anonny Moose

Damn Im good! It sure is a burnng bush :) Take that sPam!

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

You're dead on, Toad!! Just never think of the stems of BB as square, but with the wings, I guess they are.

Karen, you still can look forward to some good fall color on the little guy. Ones planted in the landscape around here have already turned red and "burned" and dropped most of their foliage but most nursery plants are still pretty green. Give it some bright sun.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam and Toad! Burning bush is a great score and I couldn't be happier. :-)

Karen

Reply to
Anonny Moose