My grandmother called it a monkey tree

I need help identifying a tree. 35 or so years ago my uncle was a cross country truck driver and often brought home gifts for my aunt and grandparents. He brought home a small tree at one time and no one remembers where he said he got it, not even what state. A few years ago we lost my grandmother and soon after the tree was damaged so badly it couldn't recover. I don't have any pictures but I'll do my best to describe it. It grew to about 5 ft. tall. The trunk and limbs were slightly twisty. Young limbs were covered with a soft velvety fur and it had pods in the summer. The pods were 1 to 2 inches long and looked a little like a pine cone. It reproduced like crazy with young plants sprouting up all around it in the summer {unfortunately all cut down by my stepfather}. I'm not sure how it reproduced although I always suspected it was new shoots from the roots. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

http://sonokie.net/photographs/monkey_tree Araucaria araucana, maybe?

need a little more info. does it have needles or leaves? where like just what state do you live in? did it lose its leaves or needles over winter?

No, not a Monkey puzzle tree.

Hi, Perhaps Firmiana simplex HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Randy Newman has an old song called: "Sail Away." Here are the words. It was one of my father's favorite songs and you reminded me of it:
In America you'll get food to eat Won't have to run through the jungle And scuff up your feet You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day It's great to be an American
Ain't no lions or tigers ain't no mamba snake Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake Ev'rybody is as happy as a man can be Climb aboard little wog sail away with me
CHORUS Sail away sail away We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay Sail away-sail away We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
In America every man is free To take care of his home and his family You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree You're all gonna be an American
CHORUS Sail away sail away We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay Sail away-sail away We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay

I liked your song. Never heard of it before.

Unfortunately, it was written about slavemasters who woooed the slaves onto the ships in Africa. It's still great to be an American and I am going to be more thrilled when our slavemaster is out of office.
If its the monkey pod tree, they call it a monkey tree because when a monkey gets in, he or she cannot get out. Its actually called a monkey puzzle. The leaves are as sharp as can be. It will be no mistaken it if this is the tree. There is also a tree called a monkey ball tree.

Unfortunately no, It's neither a monkey puzzle nor a monkey ball tree.

I'm wondering if it was some kind of sumac. The velvety branches and the fact that is reproduced so prolifically by runners sounds as if this may be it.
Go to Google Images and search "sumac"...or try this site http://tinyurl.com/24rskj and you just may find a picture of what you're looking for. There's quite a few different varieties but description sort of sounds like Stag Horn Sumac or Fragrant Sumac.
Val

by george I think you've got it. Can't be sure until I get a chance to see and feel one up close and personal, but it sure looks right in the pictures. Thank you all sooooooo much!

by george I think you've got it. Can't be sure until I get a chance to see and feel one up close and personal, but it sure looks right in the pictures. Thank you all sooooooo much!

Just a side note, my father works with wood and he made some lamp bases from sumac and that twisty quality is in the wood, too, making for an interesting woodgrain. Sort of psychedelic, man.
KC